Fiber tip section kitless (Work-In-Progress)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Photos are working pics (not ready for prime-time beauty shots yet)

PSI fiber tip / fountain pen cartridge
Blank is from PSI $1/blank grab bag used for prototyping

Capped: Overall length 5.25", 135mm
Cap length: 54.1mm
Cap OD: 13.50mm
Cap thread: M12 x 0.75
Cap stepped from threads to 7/16" to "M"
Cap turns 3.5

Body length: 85mm
Body OD: 12.0mm
Section threads: m9.5 x 0.8 ( actually 3/8" x 32tpi but it's easier for me to deal with metric units)

Section 19mm + threads
Section internal threads m7x.75 (SKM-88 clicker threads)
Section OD max: 11mm
Section OD waist 10mm

Q,C & C appreciated
Suggestions for improvement or streamlining the process welcomed
Toolmarks still present
Got a bit overzealous with the thread lengths
Threads need a good polish
Capped.jpeg
CapBody.jpeg
Exploded1.jpeg
Exploded2.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

This is really cool. I know a few people who like these kinds of pens...never knew PSI made the nibs. I am not yet at "kitless" level...so I cannot offer any advice.

rixstix

This is really cool. I know a few people who like these kinds of pens...never knew PSI made the nibs. I am not yet at "kitless" level...so I cannot offer any advice.
PSI has kits & are usually out of replacement/sacrificial nibs. I am just starting the kitless adventure & pulling lots of inspiration from here.

rixstix

Nice job, how does the felt tip write
Thanks Mike. Now to go for 2-in-a-row using cheap prototyping blanks.

To me, the feel is between a fountain pen and ultra fine sharpie. The fiber tip won't take any more abuse than a fountain pen nib which is why replacement tips are available. My wife has been using the kit version for a couple months and loves it. That's a good thing for me because of no more 'fixing' her fountain pens.

magpens

Very nice, indeed !

This design seems to be a rather unique concept in custom pens.
I wasn't previously aware of the fiber tip/FP cartridge idea.

Thanks for providing the detailed specs for your construction !

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I like the pen, but I do not like the part about the tip having a life of a year. I bought the 4 pen set just to try. They are nice. But when the tip dies. I have to order new tips. Where? PSI. One went to my wife, two to friends and saved the last for me. I wish I had bought roller balls.

rixstix

FYI these seem to be back in stock @ psi.
YEP. As of this morning.

RANT ON
Their website is really sucky. No option for Credit Card, PP option is setup so convoluted that it was nearly impossible to use a CC. Must have PP account to use a CC. PP account email must match the PSI email which is more sucky. Unless, to get the CC option a person must accept all ad displays and all 3rd party cookies that PSI chooses to allow embedded within their website.

PSI will not accept an email address in the format required by our post office which requires the physical on line 1 and PO Box on line 2. It requires a phone call for each and every checkout.

AND they do NOT respond to email or their contact us in any kind of timely manner.
RANT OFF

rixstix

I like the pen, but I do not like the part about the tip having a life of a year. I bought the 4 pen set just to try. They are nice. But when the tip dies. I have to order new tips. Where? PSI. One went to my wife, two to friends and saved the last for me. I wish I had bought roller balls.

Lifespan most likely depends upon how careful the user is and falls directly onto the tip. Replacement tips are cheap. I have not found any fiber tip that is less expensive than PSI version. Others are significantly higher for similar.

Jarod888

YEP. As of this morning.

RANT ON
Their website is really sucky. No option for Credit Card, PP option is setup so convoluted that it was nearly impossible to use a CC. Must have PP account to use a CC. PP account email must match the PSI email which is more sucky. Unless, to get the CC option a person must accept all ad displays and all 3rd party cookies that PSI chooses to allow embedded within their website.

PSI will not accept an email address in the format required by our post office which requires the physical on line 1 and PO Box on line 2. It requires a phone call for each and every checkout.

AND they do NOT respond to email or their contact us in any kind of timely manner.
RANT OFF
Hmm. I had none of those issues with chrome on my phone. I paid with a CC and didn't use pp.

Top Bottom