favorite dyed colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

isaacrapelje

I have a bunch of curly and quilted maple I want to dye and stabilize. I know it is personal preference but what are your guy's favorite colors? Also is anyone interested in dye and stabilizing some for me? I am happy to trade wood or pay money.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Tie dyed? Maple with multiple colors

Attachments

• frsj6.jpg
    frsj6.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 264

mg_dreyer

If you don't want to dye it try the GluBoost tinting system. Applied at the end of the finishing process. Leaves the grain clear. Can mix most colors. Easy as applying a CA finish.

I like at least 2 colors with figured/quilted wood as it really highlights the figure. A diluted darker color is applied, allowed to dry then lightly sanded. The lighter color is used full strength. One of my favorite pens was done this way with black and blue, I've also done dark red with light orange. The traditional method uses a darker brown and amber.

Woodchipper

I tried Trans Tint and didn't care for the results with maple from an old cutting board. TT is expensive, if I had known this, I would have never bought it. I experimented with a black Sharpie. It streaked and I decided to wipe it off with DNA. Got a nice dark grey color. Showed the pen to the chapter and they were impressed. Going to try some other Sharpie colors and see how they turn out. I'll see if I have a photo to post.

Top Bottom