Failed Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I tried making a casting with a company logo. I printed the logo onto a label and put the label on the tubes. I used Don Ward's snake skin blank instructions and glued a cork into one end of the tubes, filled the tubes with BBs and glued the other cork in. Then I glued 3/4 inch square pieces of wood to the end of these, put them in a mold and poured in my PR. Put it in my pressure tank with about 40 PSI. When I cut them apart I found that PR had gotten into both the tubes. The only way in is past the corks. I thought I had plenty of glue, but was trying to be careful not to get it on the outside. What can I do next time to get better results?

Thanks, Steve

2007716143233_DSC00505.jpg

2007716143245_DSC00506.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Too bad, they look pretty cool!

Have you considered salvaging them by drilling a 1/4" hole in the middle and using them as slimline tubes? You could try drilling them out with larger diameter bits, too.

Not sure how to protect from leaks - I haven't tried pressure casting. However, something you might try if it continues to be a problem is to coat the inside of the tubes with wax before you put the corks in - that should keep the PR from bonding with the tubes, and allow you to simply push out the PR.

Stevej72

Thanks Jim. I did try drilling them out, but I think with the BBs being round they would cause the bit to put a lot of pressure against the side of the tube and cause the outside to look like the PR shattered slightly.

Excellent idea on the wax though, I'll give that a try.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you have access to an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, try degasing the resin for about 5 - 10 munutes prior to casting. I put about 1/2 inch of water in bottom of the cleaner, pour the amount of resin I want to use in another plastic container and set that container in the cleaner. This gets most of the dissolved air out of solution. Then you only need to pressure cast at 5-10 psi. You may even be able to get bubble free without degasing, but its safer if you can. With lower pressure, I rarely get resin in the tubes and when I do, its only a little bit. I use small pieces of drill rod instead of BBs. Even if there is a little resin in the tube, just place it over a hole in a block and tap it out. I also extend the label about 1/32" beyond the tube to help make a seal. Not sure if it helps, but I haven't lost one to resin in the tube for quite a while.

Also not sure if you painted the tube with a lot of white in the label. On some of mine, the tubes show through making the white a little dull.

Tubby

I haved used Don's snakeskin tutorial alot and only had the first cast get into the tubes. I actually super glue the cork inside of the tube by running a good bead of ca on the cork then jab it into the tubes. I also just cast at 30-35 psi. Don't have a clue if that helps or not.

Ed Jordan
Wichita falls, TX

mrplace

I take thin CA and run it all over the outside of the cork and let it set in. I get a little leak, but not as much as before.

I saw a post for the Silicone Corks/Plugs, haven't gotten around to buying any though.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you are doing bigger pens my local True Value hardware carries little rubber plugs as well as the cork ones. Completely smooth without the natural voids of cheap cork.

GK

masterdcraft

Steve,

I would like to try to make some pens with logos as well.
What type of labels? Do you coat the labels with anything?
What glue do you use on the tube?

Thank you

Dave

its_virgil

Steve,
I am now using an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner instead of the vacuum. THANKS Bruce for your advice on this. I also run a bead of CA around the cork and press it in snuggly. I have dropped the pressure back to 20 psi, but Bruce's suggestion of less pressure will work also. I have not had any leaks of PR into the tubes. When a tube does leak, or I should say used to leak, I had some luck with a punch (as large as I could use on the tube that leaked) used to drive out the PR plug. It does not always work, but its worth a try. I also now use small lead shot used to reload shot gun shells. The lead is softer than BBs and is easier to drill but I think the lead also lends the plug easier to drive out. I had no luck driving out the PR BB plugs.
Good luck...and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />I tried making a casting with a company logo. I printed the logo onto a label and put the label on the tubes. I used Don Ward's snake skin blank instructions and glued a cork into one end of the tubes, filled the tubes with BBs and glued the other cork in. Then I glued 3/4 inch square pieces of wood to the end of these, put them in a mold and poured in my PR. Put it in my pressure tank with about 40 PSI. When I cut them apart I found that PR had gotten into both the tubes. The only way in is past the corks. I thought I had plenty of glue, but was trying to be careful not to get it on the outside. What can I do next time to get better results?

Thanks, Steve

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
MasterD,

When I did my Coach pen it was just a standard inkjet mail label. It is self adhesive so no glue is required and I did nothing to seal it.

someone how did have trouble with their stickers (stamps, in this case) leaking used one coat of dewaxed shellac (IIRC) to seal the stamps before the cast.

GK

Darley

Steve, when you have glued the first plug cork on the tube take a Q-tip with glycerine coat the inside tube with it and taking care not to put any glycerin on the tube edge where the second cork plug will fit, your plug should be press in the tube, CA glue is easy to remove from the inside tube, anothe matter reduce your PSI to 20, if you worries about bubbles then pressurise the PR in the mixing cup first them pour the PR in the mold and pressurise again

Stevej72

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the help. Hopefully I'll get time in a couple days to spend in the shop and see what happens. I looked on Harbor Freights website for ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and they have this one on sale for $28.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3305
is that what I need?

Darley

Originally posted by BRobbins629
<br />If you have access to an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, try degasing the resin for about 5 - 10 munutes prior to casting. I put about 1/2 inch of water in bottom of the cleaner, pour the amount of resin I want to use in another plastic container and set that container in the cleaner. This gets most of the dissolved air out of solution. Then you only need to pressure cast at 5-10 psi. You may even be able to get bubble free without degasing, but its safer if you can. With lower pressure, I rarely get resin in the tubes and when I do, its only a little bit. I use small pieces of drill rod instead of BBs. Even if there is a little resin in the tube, just place it over a hole in a block and tap it out. I also extend the label about 1/32" beyond the tube to help make a seal. Not sure if it helps, but I haven't lost one to resin in the tube for quite a while.

Also not sure if you painted the tube with a lot of white in the label. On some of mine, the tubes show through making the white a little dull.

I don't understand the purpose of this, if you have a HB pressure paint pot you shouldn't buy this ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to have clear PR, personaly it's waste of money, no insult here is my personal opinion

Jerryconn

Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the help. Hopefully I'll get time in a couple days to spend in the shop and see what happens. I looked on Harbor Freights website for ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and they have this one on sale for $28.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3305
is that what I need?

Thats the one I use and works great! I'll mix my colorants/dyes, Lusters, etc. into the PR then put them in the tank for 6 minutes to degass, add the catalyst, mix gently degass again for 6 minutes then pour in the mold. I don't use a pressure pot as off yet. I have two blanks to date that I could not use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom