Fahrney's Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

I received a catalog in the mail this week from Fahrney's Pens. I don't sell pens, but I had no idea that pens could be this expensive lol. I was a little surprised to get this in the mail as I had never heard of them, but just assumed someone sold / traded their mailing list, etc. I thought I would mention it as might be useful to someone for design / pricing ideas...

fahrneyspens.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I received a catalog in the mail this week from Fahrney's Pens. I don't sell pens, but I had no idea that pens could be this expensive lol. I was a little surprised to get this in the mail as I had never heard of them, but just assumed someone sold / traded their mailing list, etc. I thought I would mention it as might be useful to someone for design / pricing ideas...

fahrneyspens.com
Well, you have Parker, Montblank, and Delta....three of the top pen making companies in history. So there is a big name factor there. They tend to create their own kinds of very unique blanks, with more complex, proprietary processes that are hard to replicate by the likes of us, which adds more prestige.

Even $2-3k is "middle ground" price wise... If you search for some Urishi fountain pens hand crafted and hand painted in Japan, you can find pens listed more in the $10k price range. That...now that blew me away. But, when you realize that the incredibly intricate detail of those urishi lacquer painted pens is all done by hand, the price begins to make some sense.

wrjones224

I was at the San Francisco pen show last year and there was a pen going for $70,000. There's people out there that will buy them!

Bryguy

Why buy a cheap fountain pen when you could have:- The Fulgor Nocturnus, in 2010 at a charity auction in Shanghai. An anonymous bidder paid an astounding $8 million. Adorning the Fulgor Nocturnus are 945 black diamonds. The cap also features black diamonds, as well 123 rubies which create a band near the rim while an additional 16 form the square-shaped finial. The nib of this pen is partially plated with platinum and rhodium. With the high price tag, it's not surprising that only one Fulgor Nocturnus fountain pen was ever made."

I gave a lecture last year on fountain pen collecting at a local retirement community. In doing some research I came up with this. https://luxipens.com/the-worlds-most-expensive-fountain-pens-a-top-ten-list/

AllanS

Oh yeah. I love the Anello from Faber-Castell. It just feels perfect for me. They're about $500 and I picked one up when I was feeling especially flush. Then after a few years I lost it. Not an uncommon occurrence for me.

So I figured that rather than risking that kind of money again it would be cheaper in the long run to just start making my own pens.

I figured wrong. :)

Aurelius

If you think Fahrney's prices are eye opening, you should go on eBay sometime, search for "montblanc fountain pen" and sort by highest price first. Fair warning, make sure you're sitting down before the screen loads.

Top Bottom