experience with Craftsman 12" Bandsaw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I keep seeing these come up. Has anyone used this particular bandsaw that can share their experience with it? Specifically, is it worth picking one up for under $150?

1660408192060.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not worth the money. Any money. My brother had one years ago and he could never get the thing to track straight. The tires were plastic on the one he had. Just another opinion.

Turner Terry

I purchased one of these new with only a 1 HP motor back in Jan 1991. I am just a hobbyist wood worker so I do not make furniture or anything like that. The only issue I have had was after about 6 yrs the mechanism that locks the tilt head in place would not lock. It is made of plastic so I made one out of aluminum and has worked great ever since. All the blade guides and back bearing are metal and the blade runs pretty straight. This past winter I took some 6" to 7" logs of hedge as well as black and honey locus and cut it into 1" slabs. Did a real good job of it. Need to make sure blade is good and sharp as well as can't zip through a 12" long piece in just a minute.
So in my experience and opinion I would say if it is just to be used for crafting and pen making and it is setup properly it should last a long time. And at a really reasonable price.
I am looking at upgrading some time soon only for the reason of wanting to do some resawing of wider boards.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I had one and took it with me to Japan and used it there for 20 years. The one advantage of it over all other bandsaws is that the table stays flat and the blade tilted. I could cut all kinds of cuts and especially angled cuts very easy. That saw ruined me on the use of most bandsaws and even most scroll saws for any cuts but flat cuts. It is HARD to hold boards on an angled table for precise cuts while the board is wanting to slide off. Sure a few inches can be cut but doing intricate cuts with a bandsaw, while the weight of a 2x6 is wanting to slide down the 45° angled table, which is a PIA. That saw allows the boards to stay flat and the user only has to concentrate on guiding the cut - not keeping the board on the table. Mine had rubber belts and I took a second set with me and put that 2nd set on after about 13 or 14 years.

I regret not bringing it back with me and have been looking for one on eBay for several years wishing a 250 mile range of me, but I seem to find them 800 or more miles away.

Bandsaws with flat/level tables and angled blades are also referred to as "ship saws" as they were used making long wooden keels around the turn of the 20th century and into the early 1900's. Using a banked table for angled cuts on long keels was not viable, so tilting blades and flat/level tables became known as "Ship Saws".

It has its advantages and I never had tracking problems with soft woods are hard woods in Japan.

If I could find one within a couple of hundred miles or so for $200, I personally would get it.

Bottom line is that it is a personal choice. I had to take it apart to ship it over there, and put it back together almost piece by piece, so if I had a problem, I knew how to deal with it. I only had to make under the table adjustments one time for tracking, then after that I never had a problem with it. It won't be good for re-sawing, but it can handle 2" wood with ease and can cut short cuts of 4" fine too.

OH, I just noticed that one is a single speed; mine was a 2 speed, but I had to change the belt for the second speed. There were two or three versions made.

For pen making in my first 5 years, that was my go-to saw and it will handle blanks easily. Blades can be found at most online Bandsaw Blade making companies.

Last edited:

fernhills

I have one, since the early 90's. It works well for what i do. But the blade changing is a knuckle busting experience. The two speed is there,but bending under the saw to change it is hard when your in your upper 70's. The floor print is large in a small basement garage. Aside from all that, i use it a lot. It is quick and safer cutting small parts. With a easy to make cross cut sled it does wonders for me. A very large table if you are into cutting large curved projects. I use it a lot to cross cut and rip rough cut lumber to size. But after 30 years of using it, i guess i wiil hang onto it. Good luck, Carl

I had one that I bought for $75 but had to do a few repairs. The only drawback was it had a large footprint. I used it for several years and then bought a saw with a smaller footprint. I gave it to a brother in law and he has used it to cut mesquite wood. It is still running like clockwork after several years!

Top Bottom