Expanding, need advise. Lathe chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grpass

I have a Delta Midi lathe. After turning pens on the lathe for a couple of months I want to expand my experiences. Looking at a 4 jaw self centering chuck. Is the Nova brand a good choice? I see they have several different sets? I don't expect to do any large projects, just expanding my possibilities . Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeCallahan

I got this set as a gift about 5 months ago, and have yet to find a single thing I don't love about this chuck.
The set comes with Nova's standard 50mm jaws and woodworm screw, as well as their 100mm, and pin jaws. This specific one is a direct thread model for 1" x 8 spindles, which most midi/mini lathes have.

I also started out with pens, and just like you, I wanted to expand my possibilities by getting a chuck.

Charlie_W

I would definitely purchase a chuck which you can change the threaded insert for different spindle sizes in case you get a larger lathe someday with a 1 1/4" thread for example.
The Nova G3 is a good chuck..,I started out with one. Do realize they tighten counterclockwise instead of clockwise as do most chucks.
You can usually find the G3 on sale at Woodcraft or other places.

I have only OneWay chucks now....both the Talon and Stronghold. The Talon would be a good fit for your lathe. They come with straight serrated jaws but you can buy the smooth/dovetail jaws(my preference).
You can buy the chuck body separate and the dovetail jaws.
Other turners have only Vicmarc chucks. Very, very nice!
My advice is to buy quality..,,and buy once. They will last for decades and have good resale value....same with lathes.
Good luck!

magpens

So, to quote .... You .... "want to expand my experiences" ..., eh ?

Any idea how far you want the expansion to go ?

"Wood" you consider a metal-working lathe ? ... you can turn "would" with that also ... just a thought. . Oh, and other materials as well.

grpass

Thanks for the replies. Not ready for a metal lathe yet. The Nova set Joe recommended is one of the ones I had saved in my Amazon cart....Sounds like I have a plan.....

eharri446

You can also check out the Record chucks that Woodcraft carries. In some cases the price is a little less that the Nova chucks. Also, the Nova chuck jaws will fit the Record chucks and visa versa.

grpass

You can also check out the Record chucks that Woodcraft carries. In some cases the price is a little less that the Nova chucks. Also, the Nova chuck jaws will fit the Record chucks and visa versa.
Thanks I'm planning a trip to Woodcraft Sunday. Its about 120 miles from me.

greenacres2

I have a pair of Nova G3's, it's all i've used and i've not been motivated to upgrade because i've not had any frustrations. Do note that Nova makes 2 versions of the G3--one with a direct 1" x 8 tpi, the other version takes an insert to fit that--or a different insert for different headstock. My first G3 was the direct version, for the second i bought the insert style simply because i'm thinking that at some point i'll have a larger lathe--the G3 insert can be removed and replaced. Since most of their jaws fit most of their chucks, interchange to different machines can be done. Seems like a good value plan--at least that is what i told my "financial manager"!!
earl

RussS

I would definitely purchase a chuck which you can change the threaded insert for different spindle sizes in case you get a larger lathe someday with a 1 1/4" thread for example.
The Nova G3 is a good chuck..,I started out with one. Do realize they tighten counterclockwise instead of clockwise as do most chucks.
You can usually find the G3 on sale at Woodcraft or other places.

I have only OneWay chucks now....both the Talon and Stronghold. The Talon would be a good fit for your lathe. They come with straight serrated jaws but you can buy the smooth/dovetail jaws(my preference).
You can buy the chuck body separate and the dovetail jaws.
Other turners have only Vicmarc chucks. Very, very nice!
My advice is to buy quality..,,and buy once. They will last for decades and have good resale value....same with lathes.
Good luck!
I have a stronghold also and acquired a nova for some smaller work. I still love the Stronghold it does everything I need it to do.

howsitwork

Nova is a good chuck, several friends have one and the range of jaws etc is good. If possible get the insert one for future proofing your needs.

Chasboy1

I have a Nova G3 chuck for my Shopsmith. What disturbs me, as a former Metal Shop Teacher is the lack of 'range Capacity' with the standard jaws and with the pin jaws. With my metal lathe chucks, I could go from 3-4" down to about 1/16". The range on these is very limited. Advice appreciated!! Should I get additional jaws?

RobS

just posted, NOVA G3 WITH pen jaws on sale through 4/30/2020

Also I own 3 Nova G3s because I am lazy when it comes to setups. I love them.

More4dan

I have a Nova G3 chuck for my Shopsmith. What disturbs me, as a former Metal Shop Teacher is the lack of 'range Capacity' with the standard jaws and with the pin jaws. With my metal lathe chucks, I could go from 3-4" down to about 1/16". The range on these is very limited. Advice appreciated!! Should I get additional jaws?

I made the same observation vs metal lathe chucks. One advantage of the limited range is it does keep most of the jaws in contact with the material keeping the OD of the jaws close to a circle. However I was disappointed in the runout of my Vicmarc chuck. 15 thousandths on the first one 8 thousandths in the replacement one. Sometimes paying extra doesn't result in better quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom