Expanding my horizons with chevrons a bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I decided to give chevrons on all four sides of a blank a try. Took some thinking on how I could do it with the equipment I have available but it seems to have worked okay for a first attempt.

I had a bunch of 1/2 inch square walnut strips I used for glueing up my chevron block. I used some ash to make the corners of the blank.

I was torn on where to cut the ends so it looked appealing. Looks a bit lopsided with the walnut on the ends. I used redheart for the end caps.

This will be going on a Daycom Professor pen kit. That is also a first for me. Blank is rough turned only.

If I can get my act together and finish it up over the weekend I will post some photos.

IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0821.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Mark ..... you are an inspiration to us all.
I just finished turning it to size, sanding and put a coat of shellac sealer on it. I think it will need one or two more to fill pores.
Quick crummy cell phone photo.

View attachment 301598

James, you nailed it! And, I love seeing others have fun with these; hence the library articles. Chevrons are not a design some like, and that is fine - I personally am not a fan of ... (doesn't matter) ;) .

But... (1) your choice of materials/colors, (2) precise points and wings, (3) placement/centered on the blank, (4) veneers, (5) equal end caps, (6) no discernible variance in the Ash corners left-right... Ya checked all the boxes Mate!

Now you get to play with all the possible variations!

One beautiful blank. πŸ‘πŸ‘

jjjaworski

Thanks mark. Your segmenting articles have been a huge help in my success with this.

I have another chevron variation in the works just to see how it will look. It might suck but the wood is cheap and I have the time.

Wmcullen

This is fantastic. Seeing work like this gives me hope I'll be able to tackle something so satisfying one day. Thank you for sharing the unfinished pictures and inspiration!

jttheclockman

I like this one alot because it is simple chevron pattern but the ends give it more depth and a nice look. I like it alot. You are doing very well. Unlike some I like all segmenting;) It shows you have an eye for this and also the skil so the sky is the limit. Continue on this path and look forward to seeing what else you come up with. Hope to get some chevrons done this year too but they are far down on my list.

TDahl

WOW! I am not an expert, but everything on your pen looks perfect. Your end caps are even. Very nice.

Alan Morrison

Well done James.
I think that squaring up the four sides accurately is the most difficult part of this design and you have done this really well.

Top Bottom