Ever made a walking stick?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeyTn

MikeyTn

My question is has anyone ever made a walking stick? My mother asked me about making her one to replace the aluminum one she has been using for the past few years and up until now I haven't had a big enough lathe. I found walking stick hardware on craft supplies USA sight but it didn't give many details on how one is made. i have some 5/4" birdseye maple I would love to use but I'm not sure in that is thick enough. Thanks for any help.

Mikey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

You could have made the walking stick in pieces that screw together, but if you can turn it in one piece it may be easier/stronger. You will have to be careful turning something so long and thin because the middle will want to whip out with the tailstock pressure, so a steady rest in the middle is recommended. 5/4 stock should be plenty thick enough for a walking stick, most of them I've seen are probably between 5/8 and 1".

Daniel

I have not made a wlaking stick. But one of the first thoughts I had while reading your post is you would want straight grain wood. this would make it less likely to break.
I am not even sure I am right it was just a thought.

guts

I've only made one and it was out of purple heart,the bottom(brass) was made by a friend with a metal lathe, I got the kit from rockler and made it out of one piece of p.h.
2007122503116_100_0533.jpg

smoky10

I have made two from the CSUSA kits and I still have one kit left.They are not that difficult to make, just make sure your holes for the connectors are drilled straight and you use the right connector in the right place. The connectors are different sizes for the taper of the cane. Some people may not watch what they're doing and mix up the connectors.:( Also be careful making the tenon for the handle or it won't stay attached.

Rifleman1776

I have several failed attempts at turning a one-piece cane. There is simply too much whip in something that long and slim. Using the joiners as with the CS kit is the way to go. However, I would recommend NOT using the Birdseye maple. Highly figured woods generally do not have much lateral strength. You don't want Ma falling. Hickory, ash, Osage Orange, etc, make great canes.
BTW, a friend recently sent me some info about canes. Size determines what they are called:
39" and under are canes;
39" to 48" are walking sticks;
over 48" they are staffs.

Galanw

Here is one I recently made. Zebra shaft, Walnut handle and Ebony band. No hardware (except for rubber tip). 7/8" dia. at top of shaft. 5/8 at tip. Pardon the pathetic photo.

2166430255_8b2032ac1d_o.jpg

Top Bottom