Escondido, California checking in ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chthulhu

Hello, everyone,

I've already posted elsewhere here, and thought I should take a moment to introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a week or so, admiring some of the work you folks have done, especially in the advanced turning and casting forums. I'd like to see more people graduate out of kits and create things new and unique, though.

I have not yet begun to make pens, though I have been collecting and using them, particularly fountain pens, for some time. I'm currently awaiting the money to purchase a lathe and accessories, plus materials, to let me prototype a pen I've been designing in AutoCAD. If all goes well, it will be something of a "universal" design, allowing use of a variety of existing fountain pen nib units, as well as stylographic points and ballpoint/gel/rollerball refills, and possibly a mechanical pencil mechanism.

I'll mainly be using acrylics, polycarbonate, and "ebonite" of various colors and transparencies, and perhaps aluminum if I can find a local anodizing shop that isn't too costly.

Most of my turning (and milling, grinding, etc.) experience has been in making or repairing parts and tools for machine shop equipment. I was employed by Snap-on Tools for just short of twenty years until they closed their manufacturing plant here in March of 2009. This project, and many others that the lathe will allow, will hopefully keep me from going any further batty than my forced semi-retirement has sent me, and possibly make me a little money in the bargain. :)

Oh, and if anyone here knows of a kit for a clutch pencil that will accept a 1/2" diameter lead, please tell me! <G>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Welcome from Rancho Bernardo!

I'm pretty new to this hobby too,but sure enjoy it.That's pretty neat that you worked for Snap-on.I enjoy using those tools at my job.

Hope you get a lathe soon.The San Diego Woodturners is a nice club to join,and they meet in San Marcos one Sat.a month.With the club card,you get 10 percent off at the Rockler store downtown,too.

Take care,
Steve

Chthulhu

Thank you, Chrles, Fred, and Steve. :)

Steve, I'll keep San Diego Woodturners in mind, and I didn't know there was a Rockler store in the area; I'll have to check it out soon.

ossaguy

Hi Mike,

It's right off of 163 at Clairmont Mesa Blvd. Man,I love that place! It's REAL easy to over$pend there,since it's like a candy store.....

On most Saturdays,they have demos going on out on the sidewalk.Usually like 9-11.30am.Lots of different topics covered.

Coming up in Nov.,one of the expert turners will be doing a presentation on penturning at the club,so you might want to check that out. That would be a good one to attend,to see if it's for you before paying for a years dues.

I hope I don't miss that one.I only attended a couple this year,sorry to say.

There is also the So.Cal.chapter of the IAP that meets up north once a month.I haven't been able to go yet,as it's usually on the same Saturday,but hope to soon someday.I'll bet I would learn a lot there.

Take care,
Steve

Chthulhu

I looked up the Rockler store and SD Woodturners; I've driven past the Nottingham Center for the Arts innumerable times and never realized it was there.

I have enough trouble getting the monthly pen collectors' meets in Lakeside; I doubt I'll be going to anything up north in the forseeable future. :)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome ... from "up north" in Riverside, CA. Good to have you here.

San Diego area was my home for 20 years. Escondido for 8 of those years.
I will be looking forward to seeing your work. The penturning demo would answer alot of your questions - and help start sucking the money out of your pocket 

Chthulhu

Welcome ... from "up north" in Riverside, CA. Good to have you here.

San Diego area was my home for 20 years. Escondido for 8 of those years.
I will be looking forward to seeing your work. The penturning demo would answer alot of your questions - and help start sucking the money out of your pocket 

Thanks, Cathy Sue,

I won't be doing any kits (unless I find that clutch pencil!) and have done quite a bit of metal turning over the years. Most of my questions will come when and if I start casting my own blanks, but I've learned quite a lot already from what's been posted here. :)

Top Bottom