Erasable Ink Insert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all,

My son (third grade) needs to use a pen for school for reasons I won't get into here. He'll stand out a little bit as the writing implement of choice in the third grade is a pencil. The teachers have asked that he only use erasable pens. I thought I'd try and make him one that he can use, but I'm not aware of any erasable ink cartridges that will fit the standard pen kits. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

This place is sold out, but looks like there is such an animal.

Erasable Refill.jpg

sorcerertd

The Pilot Frixion refills are the same size as the G2s, so they will fit in most rollerball kits.

edit: adding this info that I found very interesting.
Pilot FriXion ink operates by turning clear when exposed to increased temperature due to the friction of the eraser on the page. However, the ink can be erased through any exposure to heat, including warm water, a hot car, or even fire! Pilot FriXion pen ink turns clear at 140°F/60°C and regains its color at 40°F/4°C.

qquake

The Pilot Frixion refills are the same size as the G2s, so they will fit in most rollerball kits.

edit: adding this info that I found very interesting.
Pilot FriXion ink operates by turning clear when exposed to increased temperature due to the friction of the eraser on the page. However, the ink can be erased through any exposure to heat, including warm water, a hot car, or even fire! Pilot FriXion pen ink turns clear at 140°F/60°C and regains its color at 40°F/4°C.
I don't think I'd like that. Sounds like a good way to lose your homework.

monophoto

"Pilot FriXion ink operates by turning clear when exposed to increased temperature due to the friction of the eraser on the page. However, the ink can be erased through any exposure to heat, including warm water, a hot car, or even fire! Pilot FriXion pen ink turns clear at 140°F/60°C and regains its color at 40°F/4°C. "

I went through engineering school on the cooperative program (combination of work and study). During one of my early work periods, my boss had been to a meeting with a client in which he was given a photocopy of an important document related to the work that we were expected to do. After the meeting, he went to lunch, leaving the document in his briefcase in his locked car - in Florida where it gets real hot. While Xerox machines were around, they were pretty scarce so that photocopy had been produced using a thermal process. As a result, when he got back to the office after lunch and retrieved the document, he found that the high heat in his car had caused the thernal copy paper to go entirely black/black, and the copy was unreadable. Whoops!

Turned out it was possible to get a readable version of the document by passing the thermal photocopy through the Ozalid (blueprint) machine - there was just barely enough separation between the text and the overall dark brown color to be able to create a faint but still readable blueprint copy.

sorcerertd

Interestingly enough, it almost sounds like you could put it in the fridge to bring the color back. The old disappearing/reappearing ink trick? I just might have to try this one of these days. The description of the "process" does explain why it's called frixion.

egnald

Greetings all,

Although they don't show up on PSI online right now, in my new PSI catalog (2021 Issue #215A) that arrived only minutes ago, on page 3 are their New Erasable Click Gel Pen Kits. They are an 8MM tube and appear to use a Parker style refill. The add says Erasable refill #PKERASERF $1.45 and Extra erasers (5-pack) #PKERASER $1.95. I would assume that the Erasable refill fits anything that uses a Parker Style refill as they also indicate that it can use a standard #PKPARK-R5 refill.

Regards,
Dave

DesertCanyon

Greetings all,

Although they don't show up on PSI online right now, in my new PSI catalog (2021 Issue #215A) that arrived only minutes ago, on page 3 are their New Erasable Click Gel Pen Kits. They are an 8MM tube and appear to use a Parker style refill. The add says Erasable refill #PKERASERF $1.45 and Extra erasers (5-pack) #PKERASER $1.95. I would assume that the Erasable refill fits anything that uses a Parker Style refill as they also indicate that it can use a standard #PKPARK-R5 refill.

Regards,
Dave
I'm holding out high hopes for that kit. Frustrating that I can't order it today!! I think I may have found the perfect pen for my engineer husband to use for his Bullet Journal.

egnald

I'm holding out high hopes for that kit. Frustrating that I can't order it today!! I think I may have found the perfect pen for my engineer husband to use for his Bullet Journal.

I am surprised that it hasn't shown up on their website yet. I attached a photo. Maybe you can place a phone order rather than wait for the website to catch up with their catalog? - Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2025 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2025 Cropped.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 89

DesertCanyon

I am surprised that it hasn't shown up on their website yet. I attached a photo. Maybe you can place a phone order rather than wait for the website to catch up with their catalog? - Dave
Just found this on the PSI website. Looks like they will not be available. Very sad! I liked the look of the pen, too. Wish they would make them as a regular (non-erasable) pen kit.

"We apologize but we will not be able to sell you the Erasable Pen Kits you may have seen in the Summer Penn State Industries catalog. There an ended up being an issue with the quality of the kits and, unfortunately, it's not something we're going to be able to fix. And we don't want to sell you a product we know you wouldn't be happy with. This isn't the customer experience we're aiming for and we can see how this could be really frustrating. I hope you understand and, again, we apologize for this experience."

pshrynk

Just found this on the PSI website. Looks like they will not be available. Very sad! I liked the look of the pen, too. Wish they would make them as a regular (non-erasable) pen kit.

"We apologize but we will not be able to sell you the Erasable Pen Kits you may have seen in the Summer Penn State Industries catalog. There an ended up being an issue with the quality of the kits and, unfortunately, it's not something we're going to be able to fix. And we don't want to sell you a product we know you wouldn't be happy with. This isn't the customer experience we're aiming for and we can see how this could be really frustrating. I hope you understand and, again, we apologize for this experience."
Well, crap. That was going to be my next purchase. Along with the fidget spinner pens.

Top Bottom