Engraving Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-turners

I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you can help me with. I have some special wood that I want to make into pens and have engraved. My question is:
***Do you laser engrave the pen after it is polished and assembled???

Please give me any input you can.

Thanks,
Chris

knifecut

Check out:

http://home.swbell.net/studio-n/penengraving.html

Their FAQ states:

1) Is it best to apply the finish before or after the engraving?

It's my opinion, it is best that you apply a finish to seal the wood before the engraving. The laser will basically burn the wood away and often this creates a residue (called smoke damage) which is easily removed with Pledge. If the pen is unfinished, the residue will get down in the pores and is harder to clean.

Rudy Vey

Finish the pen, then have it engraved.
Had about 200 pens last year engraved and there was not one problem.
The other reply gives you one reason why to finish it. With the laser engraving one really burns off the wood to get the "impression" and there is a lot of smoke/smoke residue that may interfere with the unfinished wood. Another reason is that after the engraving very often acrylic colors are applied to increase the visibility of the engraving or to add color in the engraving. When the wood is finised the surplus of the color can be easily wiped off with a wet cloth and is not smeared into small pores/open grain of the wood.

HTH

Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom