Engraving Pen For A Left Handed Person

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Perhaps I am overthinking this: To date, all of my engraved pens have been engraved starting at the nib (point) and ending at the finial (top); from left to right.
A customer is ordering a pen for a friend who is left handed. Naturally, I will let the customer decide, but does anyone engrave from the finial to the nib for a lefty?
This way, when the lefty is holding the pen, his/her name can be read from left to right. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

That is the way I would approach engraving.

Note that with a Zen, one can simply unscrew the nib and cap to reverse the orientation. This would work best if the engraving is centered on the blank length.

mick

Tony that's what I do also. The engraving is on the opposite side of the clip. Starting at the final and running toward the nib.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramaroodle

I am a leftie, hence I ALWAYS ask if the customer is left or right-handed. Pens, pencils, coffee mugs, computer mouses and everything else in the world are all oriented for right-handed people. Part of a deep state conspiracy. :cool:

sbwertz

I am a leftie, hence I ALWAYS ask if the customer is left or right-handed. Pens, pencils, coffee mugs, computer mouses and everything else in the world are all oriented for right-handed people. Part of a deep state conspiracy. :cool:
I found a license plate for the front of my leftie son's car that said "God made a few perfect people. All the rest are right handed."

Lucky2

I'm a leftie, and I don't pay any attention to this type of thing. Personally Tony, I think that you might be overthinking things just a bit. Because no matter the orientation of the pic/print on a pen, if I like the item I buy it. And because of being used to things as they are, most lefties do the same. Yes, it's very nice and considerate of you to think of us lefties, but you could end up with pens that a righties mightn't want, because of the print/pic being the wrong orientation. After all, there's a lot more of the right handed people, then there is of us lefties. I suppose if there was a way, you could assemble the pen on site. If that was possible, you could orientate the pic/printing to suit the customer at the point of sale. Let me ask you a question. If you were placing a pic of a fish on a blank, what direction would the fishes head be pointed? Towards the nib, or, towards the cap? But honestly, as a leftie, I don't have a problem using most things out there. Yes, it is a bit of a PITA at times, but there's no sense in complaining about it.

Len

1shootist

Agree , not engraving here, but i made a few pen with specific writing. I did the 2 lefties from finial downward. Both very much appreciated i did.

ramaroodle

I'm a leftie, and I don't pay any attention to this type of thing. Personally Tony, I think that you might be overthinking things just a bit.

Len
I suppose that's so but what I'm referring to are pens that I engrave with a persons or a company's name on it. I just made 31 pens for the members of a company with their employees' names on each pen. 4 of those folks were left handed and the lefties were particularly thrilled that they were oriented for left-handed people as it was uniquely made for them and the logos weren't upside down or backwards. At $60 a pen it was an $1800 order. They thought it was a nice touch. If it's a logo that wraps vertically around the pen it doesn't matter. I don't think you're overthinking it. JMHO.

sbwertz

I found a license plate for the front of my leftie son's car that said "God made a few perfect people. All the rest are right handed."
Amazon has it on a tee shirt. Great gift for a leftie.

Top Bottom