Embarrassed to ask

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

But what the heck. What is the cheapest mini chop saw that is good for 3/4" wood/plastic blanks. I have a Proxxon at my other shop but away from there for 4 months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

That's what I'm trying to avoid. Had a shoulder replacement. Sawing motion is not a good thing
I hear you.
I picked up a Ryobi 18v cordless mini chop saw. It works great.

leehljp

Member Liaison
HF has one for $99.99

Metabo (bought out by Hitachi) has one on Amazon for $105.99 (10 inch)

Home Depot has one at $94.

Those mini chop/cut-off saws are in the $60+ to $70 range and are very limited in usability.

eharri446

+1 for the Ryobi 7 1/4 inch 18V miter saw. I have two of them and use one for cutting pen blanks exclusively. Replace the blade that comes with it with a 60 tooth blade and you will get end grain cuts that you will swear were sanded. Also, it only weights 15 pounds.

Bats

Junk or maybe ok?..... use only for wood/acrylic pen blanks. Light use...maybe a few cuts a week. I'm not a fan of HF but curious abut this. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-55-amp-cut-off-saw-61204.html
I could be wrong, but going by the pictures and reviews it looks like that's a metal-cutting saw with an abrasive cutoff wheel instead of a blade. Probably not the sort of thing you want to try cutting wood or acrylic with (but I bet it would make short work of custom tube-cutting), although I suppose it might be possible to fit it with a toothed blade if you can find one that matches and you're feeling brave.

WriteON

I ordered the Evolution Rage 4. Will follow up. It's not what I really want but maybe it'll be ok. It's only for blanks. If it cuts and it's safe...so be it.

WriteON

$149 & tax. It's seems to be perfect for my needs. Fairly small and portable. About 20lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_5856.MOV
    8.8 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Top Bottom