Elm Burr Box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

Have been playing around with making boxes, and have produced my first made from mixed woods.

The Main Bowl/Box is made from Burr elm, whilst the lid is made from Apple with an African Blackwood finial on top!

I am not too sure if it really works on so small a bowl? I have seen similar things done on larger bowls which look better. Any thoughts welcome!

2007521131236_elm%20burr%20apple%20lid%20bowl3.jpg

2007521131249_elm%20burr%20apple%20lid%20bowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's pretty sharp Kenny! My only critique is that the lid is a bit oversized (diameter) for the bowl - it make the whole thing look kind of mushroomesque. Otherwise, I like it a lot!

byounghusband

Kenny,
I agree with Jim. The lid is a bit thick. You might have thinned the whole lid and narrowed the top of the lid to match the diameter of the finial. I'm not sold on the foot. It's better than my first box though.....[:I]

kkwall

Yeh,

I think you are both right. Looking at it now, the lid looks too big and chunky for the bowl.[B)]

Next one I will pay more attention to getting a symmetry between both lid and bowl!

Draken

For a start, I'd say you're doing great! Hope my first attempt comes out as nice. I do agree with the comments above, and I'm sure your next will be stunning! I like the look of the Elm Burr.

BigRob777

I can't say anything negative about this. I still haven't finished my first "bowl", which is a chalise. I preturned it last march, so it's gotta be dry by now.
I kinda like the way the lid drops below the rim, when it's assembled, otherwise I agree with Jim. I do like the main part and haven't figured out how I'm going to cut off my feet (the foot of my bowls) without a vacuum chuck, or a compression form.
Rob

kkwall

Hi Everyone,

Certainly everyone is right about the comments they have made.

I have another elm burr bowl that has the exact width of top to match the lid, and it looks so much better.

200752224346_elm%20burr%20box%20and%20apple%20lid2.jpg
<br />

Next time, this is what I will be looking to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom