eBay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I have been buying wood from eBay for years. Thankfully I slowed down a lot the past year. It can get very addicting lol.

You will get mixed results...some are awesome [:p]...some are aweful [xx(]. There used to be great deals there but not much recently that I've seen.

Rifleman1776

I've bought some. But we need to be careful lumping all wood, or any product bought from eBay, as being an "eBay" product or experience. You buy from individual sellers. Your experience reflects only on that individual seller. Personally, I find shipping costs often make buying wood mail-order impractical.

cozee

Very rarely have I been disappointed with ebay wood purchases but then haven't made many. My ebaying for wood has been done with a local mill who only sells on ebay. I don't mind as I am able to pick-up what I have won in person and they are gracious enough to allow me to go through thier scrap. Since they deal mainly with larger turnings and lumber, I can get scrap pieces which yield several blanks for next to nothing.

And I have to agree with Frank about the shipping costs. Those alone are a major factor in my buying from ebay, or anywhere else for that matter.

wudnhed

I buy from ebay all the time. I always look for the person who has great feedback, stabilized wood, and shipping that only cost $4 - $5. You can cram alot of blanks in the little priority boxes. Had one ship redwood to me in an envelope and it was in peices. I contacted him and he immediately replaced the amount of blanks I bought from plus some. Always had good luck[:)]. BUT I'm always hunting for new sources! I like to spread it around and I also like to deal with people I "know". Anyone got any wood???????

Chuck B

An Addendum to this thread.
Who do you like as a seller on e bay who has some nice wood to turn. Not where you see a nice pic & get something yech.
Who should you stay away from?

Chuck

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chuck,

If these links work, they are people from whom I have bought wood and gotten a good deal.

http://stores.ebay.com/id=10206478&ssPageName=STRK:MEFS:MESST

http://stores.ebay.com/id=54833804&ssPageName=STRK:MEFS:MESST

http://myworld.ebay.com/mcfamilywood

http://shops.half.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?HalfSearch&seller=chitswood

Yes, one of the links should sound familar to IAP members. [;)]

FWIW,

wudnhed

I have dealt with Clint, who always has his name in the title, Twistedsynapse, Wolfdancer, Dwaincoats, Hilomicro, and Eye-of-nute just to name a few. Like I said, no bad ex. so can't give you any of the yuckies[;)]

JTaylor801

I just purchased one of Clint's packages after reading about him on the IAP. He threw in about 6 "thank you" blanks which were much appreciated. The only thing I really don't like about Clint's blanks is all the greasy/slimey crud that he puts on his blanks.

Jerry

Chuck B

Bill,
Dario gave me Clints name already. I'm saving up for one of his assortment packages.I saved those links in my favorites.Thanks

Becca,
Thanks it's always nice to get more then one satisified customer.

Jerry,
It's probably wax to keep them from cracking. Have you ever asked him about it?

JTaylor801

It is...and he explains in his info that comes with the blanks. I haven't spoken to him about it becuase I just ordered the blanks and just got them on Friday. I turned a Claro Walnut today and it appears to be soaked through and through. As I was drilling the blank the juice was oozing out. [:)]

mick

PoeticSoul2 is another that comes to mind off eBay as well As Dewain Coates as mentioned earlier....I buy from both regularly and have yet to be disappointed.

kent4Him

You won't be disappointed with the stuff from Clint. I get most of my blanks from ebay. Occationally I regret it, but usually not. Look at the feedback. Some of the better ones for me are: mcfamilywood, poeticsoul2, dwaincoats.

One that has nice stuff is geraldine5588 but be careful that you look at the size of the blanks. I recently bought some amboyna burl from them. I did not notice that they were listed at 5/8 square. They are very nice, but I can't use them on anything other than slimlines. I was hoping to use them on a statesman or gentleman.

martyb

I'll 2nd Chris's seller list and the comment on geraldine5588. I too was bit by not reading the posting closely enough. The amboyna I received was phenomenally figured, but at 5/8 size, I'm a little more limited to use. Important lesson, READ THE POSTING CLOSELY.

I've also received blanks that "oozed". My experience with those have been blanks stabilized after the auction and before shipping. They never did seem to really harden up the way I thought they should.

DocStram

Ebay has been one of my major sources of blanks. I like being able to see what I'm about to buy. Caution though --- prices sometimes escalate into the sublime. On the other hand, I can often get blanks there at an even better price than listed in our classifieds. One of my favorites is William and Sabrina at Poetic Soul2 ... plus the others already mentioned here.

Skye

^Who was the one that sold you the stuff you were good enough to give me?

Oh, and I will be bringing one of those chicken poo blanks with me to bubbasville if I can remember, lol

kent4Him

Some of the best blanks I ever got on ebay came from putting in a bid for the heck of it for the minimum and for no reason, no one else bid on them. I got 4 incredible wormy mountain oak for $0.99. He told me he would have normally sold those for $10 per blank. I got some great buckeye burl for $3 from someone else.

Another tip is once you win a bid from a seller, bid on other auctions as well from them and combine the shipping. I have yet to find a seller that won't wait a week while you bid on other auctions of their's.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Skye
<br />^Who was the one that sold you the stuff you were good enough to give me?

Oh, and I will be bringing one of those chicken poo blanks with me to bubbasville if I can remember, lol

SKYE is that stabilized or not????....if not I hope you are bringing dust collection with you...ROFLMAO....

DocStram

Originally posted by Skye
<br />^Who was the one that sold you the stuff you were good enough to give me?

Ohh man, now I am REALLY looking forward to Bubbasville Atlanta. "So, you're Doc ... the Chicken Poo Pen Blank guy!"

Skye ... like my daddy used to say, "Don't look a gift chicken in the mouth". [:D]

Skye

That phrase matches on so many levels, lol

Naw, I'm not going to turn the thing. We can drill a hole in it and take a whiff, that's all it'll take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom