Wanted Easywood Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

Im looking for some used EasyWood tools. Not the larger ones, more along the lines of what one would use for pens. They make a micro set but not those. The ones above them.

If you've upgraded to something else please let me know. The wife just got her first lathe and she's hogging my set. LOL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

Certainly cheaper than EWT, but a great option for a good carbide tool, is John at NC Woodturning Tools. He has a subforum here: NC Woodturning Tools - International Association of Penturners

More than half of my carbide tools are from him. I bought the bars and made my own handles. If you don't want to turn your own handles, he does sell some handles as well.

I've used both EWT cutters and the ones that John sells. The ones that John sells work just as well as the EWT ones for a fraction of the price.

greenacres2

Certainly cheaper than EWT, but a great option for a good carbide tool, is John at NC Woodturning Tools. He has a subforum here: NC Woodturning Tools - International Association of Penturners

More than half of my carbide tools are from him. I bought the bars and made my own handles. If you don't want to turn your own handles, he does sell some handles as well.

I've used both EWT cutters and the ones that John sells. The ones that John sells work just as well as the EWT ones for a fraction of the price.

I'll second that. John's work is great. My only regret is buying the square shafts, but I was new. Doing it now i'd go to the round as i'm usually between 30 and 45 degrees in presentation anyway. Also--I don't know where he gets his carbide, but it seems to be sharper and stay sharper than another vendor whose tools I respect.
earl

Skie_M

Another option could be .... to either make your own set or buy some from John (the business ends of the tools) and turn specialty handles for your wife ... ones that'll fit her hands, which are likely to be smaller than your own hands.

The one thing you'll have to look out for, though ... with smaller tools it's so much easier to get into bowl turning, as the back end of the handle wont be hitting the tailstock so much! >.<

Camardelle

UPDATE:

I ended up purchasing new....new T Shadow tools that is. I've been using their magical skew for some time now so I purchased a couple of long handle scrapers and handles. I'll take my Easy Wood tools and either sharpen them, or purchase new cutters at SWAT this Friday.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've gotten the tools and they are every bit the quality I'd expect from Bob over at T Shadow. I'm super happy with them and would recommend his stuff any and every day.

Skie_M

If you have a diamond card or a diamond sharpening block ... just lay your carbide cutters upside down (on the flat) right on top, apply pressure with a pencil eraser or a small offcut, a little bit of water with dish soap, and make little circles ..... till you can't see any reflection at all from the edges of your cutter when you dry it off and look at it edge on with a bright light behind you. (try not to cut yourself, though ... hehe)

The finer the sharpening "stone" you use, the sharper your edges can get ... I generally just use an 800 grit. :)

Top Bottom