Mini Review Easy Wood Tools Cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Okay, before I continue, I'm using these cutters on a homemade tool, so this is not a review of the full tool, only the cutter. I bought a Ci0 square cutter. That said, I turned 5 pens today in wood, tru- stone, and various plastics. For a side- to side comparison, I turned 2 rhino plastic pens, 1 with normal tools and 1 start to finish with my carbide tool. Time wise I found there was about a 75% difference, with the carbide being much faster. It threw wood so quick I was able to turn a pen start to finish in the time it usually takes me to round a blank. It worked well on tru- stone, which is what I bought it for. I have no other carbide tools to compare it to, but bottom line, I'm very happy with my EWT cutter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I got the Ci2 rougher Friday, on my first attempt I blew a wood blank apart, cuz it cut so fast, then used my hand to knock off some of the shavings and cut my finger. Other than that it is an amazing tool!

shastastan

My wife bought me the Pen Turned chisel by Easy Wood. I was so impressed with it that I added the round and diamond chisels also. I've only used the square tool on pens though. On another forum, mention was made of carbide cutter tools made by Harrison Specialties. I watched their video demo and bought a 4-tool set. Their tools are very high quality, but too big for turning pens, IMO --especially on a mini lathe. They do have a pen turning set though. I would have bought it in place of the easy tools if I had know about it.

A major like of mine with the carbide tools is that you can use it in place of a roughing or other gouge. I do the whole pen with just the square cutter. I recommend that you practice on a scrap first even though the learning curve is very short and easy. Adjust your tool rest so the tool is parallel with the floor centered on the stock. Just my 4 cents....

cal91666

I have and use the the Ci0 as well and really like it. I only use it for roughing and then finish with my skew simply because its what I'm use to. I've turned several pens of varying material and have still only used 2 sides. The last segmented pen I turned that used .019 aluminum as the separator finished off the second side for me. And like edicehouse i've got a couple band aids on my fingers from it.

shastastan

The cutters are really sharp. I got a little cut removing a soft plastic cover from one. If I had read the cover removal directions, that would not have happened. Duh!

In the Harrison Specialties set that I bought there's a square, diagonal square, diamond detailer, round hollower, and round shear/finisher. However, these are really for larger projects such as bowls. The set comes with a long and strong handle which I find too long for small stuff like pens. I bought the pen handle and it's better. I finally relented and bought the pen square cutter tool which is short. I'm thinking of just turning some shorter handles for each shaft rather than use the stock interchangeable handle. As I'm getting used to these tools, I'm thinking of selling some of my others-especially the scrapers. I'm also thinking that I probably would have started out with these tools if they had been invented then.

Marc

I am a fan of the EWT carbide cutter line. I have not used the hollowing tools yet but I am very happy with the Rougher, Finisher and Detailer.

As to the finger cutting, I took a cheap bristle paint brush and cut the bristles down to about 1/2 proud of the metal in the handle. I then glued a couple of earth magnets to the metal in the handle and placed this on the body of my lathe. When I want to remove sawdust, I just run the head through those bristles and viola! A clean head with no cuts to the fingers.

shastastan

I am a fan of the EWT carbide cutter line. I have not used the hollowing tools yet but I am very happy with the Rougher, Finisher and Detailer.

As to the finger cutting, I took a cheap bristle paint brush and cut the bristles down to about 1/2 proud of the metal in the handle. I then glued a couple of earth magnets to the metal in the handle and placed this on the body of my lathe. When I want to remove sawdust, I just run the head through those bristles and viola! A clean head with no cuts to the fingers.

Thanks, Marc! That's a great idea! I'm going to do the same thing today! I'm tired of not being able to see the cutter edge. I've used a paper shop towel, but your idea is a lot faster and more practical.

wildbill23c

Banned
Excellent reviews. I have the easy rougher and after about 3 dozen pens I'm still on the first side of the cutter head. My HSS chisel only lasted about a dozen pens and it is dull LOL. I'm just turning wood pen blanks right now, but I can imagine this will be an excellent tool when I start turning the acrylics. Sure glad to hear such great reviews on these carbide cutters.

low_48

Okay, before I continue, I'm using these cutters on a homemade tool, so this is not a review of the full tool, only the cutter. I bought a Ci0 square cutter. That said, I turned 5 pens today in wood, tru- stone, and various plastics. For a side- to side comparison, I turned 2 rhino plastic pens, 1 with normal tools and 1 start to finish with my carbide tool. Time wise I found there was about a 75% difference, with the carbide being much faster. It threw wood so quick I was able to turn a pen start to finish in the time it usually takes me to round a blank. It worked well on tru- stone, which is what I bought it for. I have no other carbide tools to compare it to, but bottom line, I'm very happy with my EWT cutter.

What "normal tools" did you use? Any comparison review should detail all the players in the game. If you are comparing them to Harbor Freight or Benjamin's Best scrapers, compared to a Thompson Lathe Tools skew, it would be nice to know.

Dan Masshardt

I like and frequently use my EWT radius cutter. Nice tool.

It's bit really faster for me though. Wide spindle gouge is what I use to remove most of the material in wood and acrylics.

EWT for final shaping and finish cuts on many pens and all man made materials.

I really like the EWT cutters as feel that that they might be a bit better than the cheaper bulk cutters.

However, I find that they dull quicker than the hype - depending in what material or course.

I can can so many more pens out of my gouge then a handful of carbide inserts - with many sharpenings of course.

I'm very thankful to have a carbide tool and will eventually round out my collection of them.

But toss the other tools aside ? Not a chance.

Thanks for offering your thoughts!

shastastan

For me it's not a question of whether to use carbide cutters or HSS gouges, skews, and scrapers. I like to use different tools and they are all useful for particular situations. I have gone too far in acquiring different types of tools though. This mainly happened when I was just getting started with turning and also because of my curiosity--which I allowed to get out of hand.

That being said, I've decided to make my own tool handles for my Harrison tool shafts. A friend came me some 2"x2" walnut blanks. He had them laying around his shop for quite a few years. I discovered that there's very little moisture content in these blanks and they are also pretty hard. My Harrison tool had no problem in bringing it into round and worked better than my roughing gouge in this instance.

jyreene

Now you're just showing off. I still prefer the danger of using my fingers to brush it off.

DaddyO

I too have the small EWT set. I like them but still find myself using my gouge a lot.

Oh and the finger cut, just a right of ownership of these tools!:)

Top Bottom