Eastern Diamondback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimskio

I have 2 Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake skins that I want to cast but have ran into a problem. The scales all have a ridge in the middle that runs parallel the length of the scale. I have tried one sierra but after gluing the skin to the tube all of these ridges stick up higher than the smallest finished part of the pen. Meaning if I were to cast the skin it will stick out of the blank, after finishing, on each end.

Did the skin just not get stretched enough while tanning? Is there some way of removing these without ruining the skin? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
jimskio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

My first question for you is: How well did you flesh the skin first before tanning? Secondly, I never recommend stretching the skins for risk of ruining them

ZanderPommo

these are dead scales, the perty part is underneath. try using a knife at a 90 degree angle 2 the skin and scraping them ALL of from head to tail, or carefully remove them with packing tape, which is less gross, but sometimes more difficult

seamus7227

these are dead scales, the perty part is underneath. try using a knife at a 90 degree angle 2 the skin and scraping them ALL of from head to tail, or carefully remove them with packing tape, which is less gross, but sometimes more difficult

Zander does have a good point, but if those are already gone, you are right, the part you are referring to can be higher, and this is why i ask if you fleshed it really well. What i typically do after skinning it, and fleshing it, is to go over it again once it comes out of the solution, just to clean it up.

Also, when you are glueing your skin to the tube, are you rolling it on or what is your method? are you using CA?

seamus7227

if its tanned it shouldnt have scales though... pics would help

this depends on the tanning process. My way, glycerine and Alcohol, the may be a few left over, just take the air compressor and blow the rest off or use an x-acto knife like Zander said in a scraping motion and most will flake off

jimskio

I thoroughly removed, as best I can, flesh by scraping before I tanned the skin. I use glycerin, alcohol and formaldehyde mix. I will try scraping the dead scales off or even use my compressor to blow them off. I roll the skins on to the tube and I use medium CA. The gluing process is not a problem for me its just these raised ridges of the scales that are giving me the problem. I will upload a pic tomorrow.

Thanks Seamus and Zander,
jimskio

ZanderPommo

you're welcome, yes by what you said I would definatly say that it sounds like you need to remove the scales, as (i assume) they are lifting when cast. :)

jimskio

You can see in the pics that the ridges are looking a little too high for the finished size.

jimskio

Attachments

• P8160624.JPG
    P8160624.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 227
  • P8160627.JPG
    P8160627.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 214

seamus7227

You can see in the pics that the ridges are looking a little too high for the finished size.

jimskio

If you will wipe a lite layer of CA over the top of that skin(wiping in the direction with the scales) they will lay down better, but be sure to let that cure for at least 2 days so the CA will have time to "outgas".

jimskio

The skin is on a Sierra tube. The two snakes I have were over 4' which is not real big but bigger than any snakes I have skinned at this point.

jimskio

seamus7227

The skin is on a Sierra tube. The two snakes I have were over 4' which is not real big but bigger than any snakes I have skinned at this point.

jimskio

PERFECT, that was the info i was looking for, so there is a possibility that the size of the scales are a bit too big for that type of application. What i would recommend is to either use a sierra vista kit which will allow more room, or try the CA method I mentioned earlier.

its_virgil

Bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to rattlesnake skins and casting pen blanks. Bigger snake = bigger scales = your problem. Some rattlesnake species have much thicker skin and scales than others. While eastern and western diamond backs are really pretty they can get too big for using on pen blanks....or, at least I think so. Good luck with your casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jimskio

wwillimon

It seems like the scales are very large. I have done several hides and most are pigmey rattlers and copperheads. They are small and have small scales. One thing to remember is to salt the hide ASAP after skinning and it will set the scales. You will need to rinse good before tanning. My hides dont work well in castings because I use the brain tanning and causes too much oil.

Top Bottom