Earthquake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Wow we just had a 4.8m earthquake here in NJ (northern) We do not get these very often and especially this strong but this was scary. I have a bunch of pen tubes I am working on with watch part items. Knocked them all off a shelf. Between the storms we have been getting this entire winter and we just had a huge rain storm 2 days ago with tremendous wind, makes you wonder what is next. Eclipse coming through here on Monday. More eerie stuff. Wow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I felt it in Massachusetts. I felt the rumble in my chair, and my computer monitor at work was shaking for about 10-15 seconds. I assumed it was the military detonating something since we are close to a facility that regularly detonates, but it went on too long. A minute later I received a message that it was an earthquake in NJ.

NJturner

Felt it here in Lavallette, NJ. Thought they were blowing stuff up at the nearby joint military base again, but they usually let everyone know when it's gonna be noisy, and they hadn't. News says was centered in Lebanon, NJ. I lived on a geo fault line in Long Valley not far from Lebanon for a good number of years with a US Geologic Service probe station down the street. We used to get occasional tremors throughout the year, but this one must have really shaken things up good! Heard people in the Oldwick General store very close to Lebanon thought the building was going to fall! Floods, earthquakes, cicada's.....guess the earth is a little mad at us silly folk!

Hippie3180

We had one here in West Texas many years ago in the wee hours of the morning. Woke us up, we thought it was wind (we get lots of wind here + tornadoes) no real noticeable shaking. We went back to sleep and later found out it was an earthquake. They get a lot of earthquakes around El Paso from all the fracking from what I understand.

Glad everyone was safe. Crazy!

PreacherJon

We had one here in West Texas many years ago in the wee hours of the morning. Woke us up, we thought it was wind (we get lots of wind here + tornadoes) no real noticeable shaking. We went back to sleep and later found out it was an earthquake. They get a lot of earthquakes around El Paso from all the fracking from what I understand.

No... it is just the earth adjusting to the heat and magma under the crust from around the world. Seven major plates make up over 90% of the plates with a bunch of small ones making up the rest. Some areas are more prone to move more than others. And others are prone to move in a big way. Those are mostly around the Ring of Fire that have on them about 450 volcanoes. As much as they like to portray men as being able to make them move. There is no way for man to do anything with them, short of dropping a nuclear device down in those cracks... which is virtually impossible. (Who knew I'd remember all that from my Geology Courses in college? :oops: )

Hippie3180

No... it is just the earth adjusting to the heat and magma under the crust from around the world. Seven major plates make up over 90% of the plates with a bunch of small ones making up the rest. Some areas are more prone to move more than others. And others are prone to move in a big way. Those are mostly around the Ring of Fire that have on them about 450 volcanoes. As much as they like to portray men as being able to make them move. There is no way for man to do anything with them, short of dropping a nuclear device down in those cracks... which is virtually impossible. (Who knew I'd remember all that from my Geology Courses in college? :oops: )

duncsuss

I felt it in Massachusetts. I felt the rumble in my chair, and my computer monitor at work was shaking for about 10-15 seconds. I assumed it was the military detonating something since we are close to a facility that regularly detonates, but it went on too long. A minute later I received a message that it was an earthquake in NJ.

Me too - about 20 miles north of Boston. Same thing with the rumble, but I also got sound effects as there are a couple of trees overhanging the roof and I think a few small branches got shaken off.

PreacherJon

No... it is just the earth adjusting to the heat and magma under the crust from around the world. There are seven major plates making up over 90% of the plates with a bunch of small ones making up the rest. Some areas are more prone to move more than others. And others are prone to move in a big way. Those are mostly around the Ring of Fire that have on them about 450 volcanoes. As much as they like to portray men as being able to make them move. There is no way for man to do anything with them, short of dropping a nuclear device down in those cracks... which is virtually impossible.

That's our problem, we are believing the people who have a different agenda. This study is extremely skewed. All lies from the government. You know the one that brought you Covid and lied about all of it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
6 or 7 years ago on a Saturday morning, LOML and I were still lying in bed (NW Mississippi) and we felt a shake for several seconds. We both knew it was an earthquake and quickly turned on the TV, expecting something from the New Madrid fault north of Memphis TN (which caused an 8.0 - 212 years ago). To our surprise it was from somewhere in Oklahoma - 500 miles away.

On Jan. 17, 1995, living in the Osaka-Kobe area of Japan, we had a 7.2 quake at 5:46 AM. 6300+ lives lost. It was quite scary. Phone systems down; difficult reaching family back in the States to let them know we were OK. To this day, LOML keeps an Earthquake survival trunk and pack ready, especially since we are less than 100 miles from the New Madrid fault.

Do you know what to do if a strong quake does hit and cell phone towers are down? Do you know where emergency locations are, how to get to them if bridges are down? Does your family know where to begin looking for you or what government agencies to call? After the Great Hanshinn Earthquake, our organization made each family research local emergency centers, phone numbers and then send in a report which was given to several leaders in different locations so that leadership outside of a disaster area would know where to look for personnel.

sorcerertd

That is a big aftershock. I'm glad it wasn't a lot worse. It sounds like there was no heavy duty damage. From, what I read, the plates in the eastern part of the US are much larger than on the west coast, causing the movement to be felt a lot further away. Mother Nature doesn't fool around. (Also, "it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature". Somebody else here must remember that.)

Woodchipper

Glad it wasn't any worse as we have seen the damage from earthquakes around the world. We had one in the early 80s, centered in Winchester, KY. I noticed the floor shaking and the lamp shade moving. Got to church that evening and it was the focus of conversation.
Hank, I was at Reelfoot Lake last October and saw the aftermath of the New Madrid Quake. Great fishing, BTW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–1812_New_Madrid_earthquakes
Parents lived in Los Angeles in the 1981. Mom felt the floor shake. People in the office, "It's nothing. Just an earth tremor." Yeh, right?

greenacres2

Glad you're okay JT, and that overall the damage wasn't too widespread.

Question for the geologists/seismologists in the collective...Any chance there was a connection between the Taiwan and NE USA quakes? Cause and effect, or just coincidental timing?? Not a gloom & doom question, but curious if the movement of one plate could cause a reaction in another plate halfway around the world.
earl

jttheclockman

We are about 25 miles from the epicenter of this thing. There was no damage in and around my area. It was scary and I do not know how people in Cal. handle that stuff. This was the second most powerful quake to hit NJ since 1783. They say it was not a deep one so damage was minimal but it sure gets your attention. We are just passing through this time on earth for sure.

Woodchipper

A news commentator said that we are poking holes in the earth for oil, water, geothermic heating, minerals, etc. His question was when the earth declare enough is enough.
As John T. stated, we re just passing through. A scientist mentioned that 80% of the life forms that have existed on earth have disappeared. Not encouraging, is it?

TonyL

A news commentator said that we are poking holes in the earth for oil, water, geothermic heating, minerals, etc. His question was when the earth declare enough is enough.
As John T. stated, we re just passing through. A scientist mentioned that 80% of the life forms that have existed on earth have disappeared. Not encouraging, is it?
Where do you find news - I didn't think there has been news since the 1980s?

sbwertz

I used to live in CA right near the San Andreas fault. I woke up one night with my bed walking across the floor! The scariest was when I was at the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz waiting in line to get on the big roller coaster there. A good sized quake hit and the high boarding area for the coaster whipped around so bad we all sat down and wrapped our arms around the posts for the railing. When the coaster came in, the people on it were puzzled, because in the wild coaster ride they hadn't even felt the quake!
Then in 1994 when that 6.7 quake hit Los Angeles, my husband and I were visiting friends south of San Diego, and were in a motel room. When the quake hit LA, all it did where we were was rattle the doors and windows. It sounded like someone pounding on the door to the motel room. I didn't fully wake up, but my subconscious analized the situation, concluded "earthquake, not dangerous" and my husband told me I rolled over and told him "It's just an earthquake, dear, go back to sleep."

Last edited:
Top Bottom