Dymonwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

We recently purchased a spindle blank. We thought that when we received it the blank would be diagonal cut instead it is straight. We have an order for one, but now we are not sure of the proper way to cut the pen blanks. We don't want to mess it up, but we would like to have the diagonal pattern.

Sound stupid, please remember that I am very very new at this.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Right now I can't recall where I found it buttheir is a great page/ article on cutting the block and gluing it back together so the stpippes are diagonal. It covered two different angles to cut the block so the design comes out different. it was a great article with pictures so you could compare for yourself etc. and it definitly would have given you a step by step direction. basically cut the block at roughly a 30 degree angel the long way. then match the pieces back together so that the stips are running diagonally and the block is some what rectangle again.
hope that makes enough since.

daledut

Some of this depends on how wide the blank is. But I find that a 13 to 15 degree angle works best. For the sake of example lets say that the piece is 2.5 inches wide and 11 inches long with the laminated strips running lengthwise. If you cut the piece from corner to corner you get about a 13 degree angle. Then take the 2 pieces and glue them flat side to flat side. You end up with a trapazoid with the angle cuts as the new outside edges.

You can then cut it into 3/4 " strips and have you angle cut and very little waste. You could also make your cuts without gluing up but you get a lot more watse.

I use Gorilla glue and clamps when doing this.

Let me know if anything is not clear and I will try harder to explain it right.

Dale

PensofColor

Here is a link to instructions on how to cut Dymondwood(R) so you get the angle pattern. Hope this helps.

http://www.stinggroup.addr.com/projects/011401/exp.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom