Dying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
Does anyone want to share a good formula for dying wood.
I got some blue dyed BEB from A.S. and it's beautiful. I would like to try some on my own. I've got the H.F pressure/vacuum pot setup.

fstepanski

How complicated do you want to go?
What ever the selection I would suggest setting them on a rack to allow max air-flow around them
You could place them in the fridge or freezer - know it sounds crazy but works.
Large cardboard box with de humidifier
Large Cardboard box with small light & fan to circulate the air
Place them in a toaster oven set on really low
Or just set them on the shelf

Good luck!!

great12b4ever

Frank, I think Ron was asking about Dying (coloring) wood blanks insted of drying wood blanks.

If so there is a some information in the archives on the process. Just go to search and type in dying wood or dying blanks. ALso here is a link on Tans Tint Dyes. Woodcraft sells Midol dyes which are also good, and some people have success with Prismaclolor markers. Just turn your pen to size, sand, then color with the markers and then seal and finish. Good Luck
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

Rob

armchi

The only dying I've done was mostly after I turned the piece. I used a q-tip to paint the blank. The dyes I used came from Lee Valley and were mixed with water. You can probably mix them with alcohol for faster drying.

I also tried soaking a whole bunch of plain tongue depressors (Large Popsicle sticks) in the dye. They somewhat soaked right thru since they are quite thin. I let them dry for a day or two in a warm area before layering and gluing them together. The results was a cheap replica version of dymondwood. I could have also used the dye in a solution of Minwax wood harder, but I didn't have it available at the time.

As for the H.F. pressure/vacuum pot, there's an article somewhere in this site about stabilizing wood. It's the same concept. I just got mine set up so I haven't tried it yet. My first attempt will be to dye and harden corn cobs, once I can get my hands on some. I would say mix your dye and put the wood in, then pull a vacuum before releasing it. Depending on the wood, you may have to do several cycles. I would suggest mixing the dye with alcohol, acetone or wood hardener (if wood is soft). They tend to dry quicker than if mixed with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom