Dust & Safety

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeEH

Does anyone have comments on the use of eye & lung protection? I wear goggles during turning, but often take them off during sanding, as they seem unnecesary. I haven't used masks, but being around CA during application AND sanding has me thinking I should. I'm guessing protective glasses & at least a drywall mask are a good idea. Am I overreacting? Underreacting? I only have one set of lungs & I enjoy making pens, so I want to do it right for a lot of years.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I use disposable 3M dust masks. Though I have a dust collector, I cannot run it concurrent with my lathe due to power supply restrictions. I am working on possibly adding supply to my garage/shop right now.

Some may say dust mask is not enough but it seems to be sufficient for my purposes. I do recommend it as your minimum lung protection though.

EDIT:
The 3M mask i am talking about lasts long...though disposable I use them for weeks at a time before throwing them away. It is similar to this http://www.allheart.com/3m1860x.html

BTW, I also use goggles or full face shield. I hardly use the face shield while turning pens though I should.

tipusnr

When using domestic woods, I use safety glasses and my shop vac as I have a hood over the lathe to catch the small shrapnel and the dust. On exotics or when turning somewhere else I use a full face shield and a canister filter mask. My lasik was too expensive to waste and I really like being able to take full breaths when I exercise. But that's me!

JimGo

Mike,
First off, welcome to IAP!

With respect to eye protection, I wear goggles and a face shield while turning. I've had too many larger chunks come flying at me to feel comfortable with anything less. I also use CA for most of my finishes, and the last thing I want is a ball of still-wet CA coming at my eye. Somehow I managed to glue my face shield to my hair one day (without ever getting my hands near my hair), and that just reinforced my eye protection requirement.

As for breathing stuff, that varies. Some woods, such as Cocobolo, Walnut, and spalted woods, are known to cause problems (some in the short term, some longer term), and when turning those I almost always wear some kind of protection with those. I usually wear a disposable mask, but one of the better quality ones you find at HD or another big-box store. I'm thinking of investing in a respirator, though, because I've had some batches of CA that really threw me for a loop, and I think I'd be more comfortable with a respirator and the better quality filtration it typically provides. For the other woods, I may not always wear a respirator while turning, but I typically wear one while sanding and finishing. I'm more concerned about the dust than the shavings, which may be an oversimplification of the risks, but I figure I'm likely to inhale more of the dust than the shavings.

Some here use those powered respirators that clean the air and pump it into a face mask for you. If I sell some more pens, I might consider something like this.

----
The mask I use is similar to http://www.websoft-solutions.net/3m_8511_3m8511_3m_dust_respirator_p/8511.htm

MikeEH

Thanks Dario & Bill, Do you know if any substance is more dangerous than another? Seems like the CA would be the worst, but don't know about friction polish, DNA, or Mylands sealer....

Czarcastic

Mike, at my home, safety glasses are on in the shop no matter what. I don't let anyone in my shop without eye protection ever, whether tools are running or not. Overkill? Maybe. Until your kid, or your wife, happens to walk in while a wood chip or a piece of bark goes flying across the room. I keep a good supply - about 1/2 dozen - safety glasses by the door. When I hold a "sawdust session," or just have some folks over for a "turn-a-thon", everyone wears them.

As far as breathing goes... you are kidding yourself if you think one of those paper masks are doing anything, and a fool (no offense) if you think you don't need some protection for your lungs.

You need to keep a dust collector or at least a shop-vac going all the way through the sanding stage. I run my DC through a "big gulp" dust shroud. I doesn't suck up the big chips, but it does get most of the fine dust. You usually don't breath in the big chips, anyway [;)]

I also wear a respirator that I bought "on the cheap" at harbor freight.

I enjoy my woodturning hobby (and my health) too much to think that I am immune to the potential pitfalls of woodturning. A few little precautions don't do anything but help me make sure I'll be doing it a long time.

MikeEH

Thanks, I'll invest in a dust collector & look into quality masks/respirators.
Mike

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Steven,

Before you go off on paper masks, consider the 95N mask that is used by health care workers to treat TB patients. That is what I use. That and a good dust collector are an adequate start.

When these discussions get started, I am reminded of the outfits they wanted us dentists to wear to treat HIV patients. Protection is one thing, overkill is another, especially when people stop in for a super-sized fried meal at the "arches" on the way home from the respirator store.

Just my opinion,

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Sorry, Dario, I didn't realize that we were talking about the same mask as I just clicked your link. That is an excellent mask, and a great choice for respiratory protection.

P.S. It is in the mail, thanks again!

Rudy Vey

I have a hose (4 inch Aluminum for a dryer vent, this can be easily moved and adjusted)connected to my dust-collection system and it is placed directly behind the object to be turned (pen, bowls, stopper what ever is on the lathe).
Initially, I used one of the clear plastic hoods that come from PSI or else, but they are too much in the way. The collector is running continuously during turning and sanding, I personally think it is more important in the sanding steps due to the much more finer dust particles created than in the turning. Also, my collector has a 1 micron oversized bag from American Filter Fabric (they make custom-made bags for a very good price, I think I paid about $70 for it, well worth the money). Lately, I use a bit more of CA for finish and I also turn my collector on when applying this glue. I cannot work with respirator or dust masks, I have a beard and I also sweat very easily and my safety glasses will fog up. The respirator is only used when I change the collectors lower collection bag (which is a clear plastic bag).
And I have one of those remote switches on the lathe, connected with a rare earth magnet, so I can take the remote to any place in the shop.

rtparso

OK I am going to put on my ES&H hat.
Dust masks (paper masks are only for NUSANCE DUST not chemicals (fumes). In addition any mask that is not fit tested gives you a false sense of safety. If you NEED a mask for health reasons either for chemicals or for serious allergies (trouble breathing after exposure) get a proper certified mask and get it fit tested. For a dust mask I use the 3m 8511 mask. The important thing is the 2 straps. I also wear a full beard and I have checked the fit and I am comfortable with the level of protection that I get. I am slightly allergic to some wood (I sneeze) and have never had a bad reaction to any wood so far. As far as CA fumes I use a shop vac when I am applying CA and the fumes are strong. My shop vac has a HEPA filter and removes the CA smell. If you use a respirator to protect your health get a FIT TEST. When I used to wear a respirator to protect my health (H2S, and other chemical hazards above PEL allowable 8 hour levels) I shaved and used a full face respirator and if I was at all not comfortable (anywhere near Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health IDLH) I used positive pressure. In addition as a personal decision if I am concerned about chemical exposure above PEL I request a full face. Get a look at the uptake possible through the mucus membranes of the eyes. I have worked in some nasty environments and have had ZERO ill effects when wearing the PROPER level of protection and plan on keeping it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom