Dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

I'd like to hear what some of you do to keep down the dust - especially when sanding pen blanks. I sue a mask, but it doesn't do a great job, and I have noticed that I am getting headaches in the evening after working in the shop> Connection? I just have a small home shop so a big dust collection system is out of the question. I have heard about small collectors that can be moved around the shop. Anyone have experience with them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Until I built my new shop I used one of those roll-around Jet single stage DC with lots of hoses and other fittings. Can't say it was perfect but it was better than suckign in all that dust. Nothing stops it all but DC's, masks, air cleaners, fans, etc. all help some. Together they make a real difference.

Headaches? Can't say that dust is reall doing that but everyone is different. Some people have more sinus problems than others and dust will contribute. If you blow you nose and see any sawdust (gross but effective test) then you desparately need better DC.

Snazzypens

I have problems with headaches and feel like I got a cold but it from the CA I have found. I can't work without a fan to blow the stuff away from me. Or I feel crappy.
This might give you something else to think of
TOni

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A dc behind the lathe will move fresh air past you.
Russ showed a set up on his site that uses something as simple as a casrdboard box with a hole for the DC hose.
I have a more elaborate set up with P.V.C. pipe run behind my lathe.I cut openings that can be closed with another piece of P.V.C.pipe I cut a length wise slit in and slipped over the"run".
My set up will not pick up the shavings but it does keep dust and fumes away from my repiratory intake orifices.
(If I had to wear a get up that made me feel like a spaceman everytime I turned a pen I would take up quilting but would wear gloves for fear the needle would prick me)

DocStram

Not a scientifically proven fact, but my headaches and sinus related problems didn't stop until I bought a Trend AirShield. I also run an airscrubber and use a dust collector. The Dust-Bee-Gone may help others, but it just didn't do the job for me.

jtate

Russ,

Where would you suggest positioning such a fan? This may be a partial solution for me. This is a simple hobby for me and I can't afford the fancy collection systems yet.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom