dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhallett

I bought the Penn State DC3 dust collector from a guy who hardly ever used it. My question is, can it be mounted on a wall, vertically, or maybe a mobile vertical stand.
Looking for some ideas, so please share some pictures if you have a little mobile dust collector.

Mike.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Hey Mike,

I do not have that dust collector, but I did take the Harbor Freight 2 HP and wall mount it. I added an Oneida Cyclone, a 30 gallon barrel, and a Wynn Environmental MERV 15 Canister filter, but the HF is the core. It isn't mobile, but it is wall mounted.

6044A891-4AF6-4873-AED5-D1E9B00EFD3D_1_105_c.jpeg

NJturner

Hey Mike,

I do not have that dust collector, but I did take the Harbor Freight 2 HP and wall mount it. I added an Oneida Cyclone, a 30 gallon barrel, and a Wynn Environmental MERV 15 Canister filter, but the HF is the core. It isn't mobile, but it is wall mounted.

View attachment 370643
Your setup is exactly what I am trying to do with my dis-assembled Jet DC1100. Trying to save some space, I broke down the Jet from the factory set up and put it together pretty much how you have your layout. I immediately found that it was super noisy and the separation on the Dust Deputy wasn't anywhere as good as it was prior to the reassembly. LOTS of wood particles made it into the filter and it was clogging quickly. On close inspection, I find that the impeller of the Jet motor is turning the opposite direction of the airflow coming out of the Dust Deputy, so there is a lot of noise and loss of suction from the opposing directions of the airflow hitting at the point the air is leaving the Dust Deputy and entering the impeller housing.

I am trying to figure out what to do now. I can increase the size and footprint and add lots of elbows to take the blower off of the Dust Deputy as one solution, or use a bunch of flex hose, but I think either will reduce the suction. Somehow, I need to reduce the 'swirl' of the airflow to make this work. Any ideas?

d_bondi

Your setup is exactly what I am trying to do with my dis-assembled Jet DC1100. Trying to save some space, I broke down the Jet from the factory set up and put it together pretty much how you have your layout. I immediately found that it was super noisy and the separation on the Dust Deputy wasn't anywhere as good as it was prior to the reassembly. LOTS of wood particles made it into the filter and it was clogging quickly. On close inspection, I find that the impeller of the Jet motor is turning the opposite direction of the airflow coming out of the Dust Deputy, so there is a lot of noise and loss of suction from the opposing directions of the airflow hitting at the point the air is leaving the Dust Deputy and entering the impeller housing.

I am trying to figure out what to do now. I can increase the size and footprint and add lots of elbows to take the blower off of the Dust Deputy as one solution, or use a bunch of flex hose, but I think either will reduce the suction. Somehow, I need to reduce the 'swirl' of the airflow to make this work. Any ideas?
Hmmm, I'm not sure I am tracking.

You said that the airflow coming out of the Dust Deputy. On mine, the air is pulled through the dust deputy's inlet and up through it's top into the suction (center) port of the dust collection fan which blows into the Wynn Environmental filter canister. The bottom of my filter canister is open to the 5 gallon bucket (screw on lid with center cut out for mounting) so that the fines that make it out of the dust deputy into the fan can collect there.

The swirling in my setup in the Dust Deputy would be counter clockwise as viewed from the top. Which is the same direction that the fan impeller rotates. My original HF fan impeller had forward curved blades, but the upgraded (larger) Rikon impeller has backward curved blades. It looks odd if you aren't used to seeing fan impeller designs, but it is a more efficient design that generates more pressure (suction).

Maybe a picture would help.

NJturner

Hmmm, I'm not sure I am tracking.

You said that the airflow coming out of the Dust Deputy. On mine, the air is pulled through the dust deputy's inlet and up through it's top into the suction (center) port of the dust collection fan which blows into the Wynn Environmental filter canister. The bottom of my filter canister is open to the 5 gallon bucket (screw on lid with center cut out for mounting) so that the fines that make it out of the dust deputy into the fan can collect there.

The swirling in my setup in the Dust Deputy would be counter clockwise as viewed from the top. Which is the same direction that the fan impeller rotates. My original HF fan impeller had forward curved blades, but the upgraded (larger) Rikon impeller has backward curved blades. It looks odd if you aren't used to seeing fan impeller designs, but it is a more efficient design that generates more pressure (suction).

Maybe a picture would help.
Understand the confusion. This was my setup idea. Similar to yours. However in this configuration, my impeller is turning in a clockwise direction, pulling air out of the Dust Deputy. However, the Dust Deputy air flow is working in a counterclockwise direction. The air meeting the impeller right where you can see the silver joint tape is air colliding and messing up the airflow. From the second pic, I have drawn an arrow of the airflow out of the impeller - heading to the Wynn Filter. So my issue is counterclockwise air flow coming out of the Dust Collector meeting the clockwise pull of the impeller is dropping the vortex action of the Dust Deputy way down due to the turbulence. I can't reverse the impeller, but thinking more about increasing the distance between the Dust Deputy and the impeller and adding something like airvanes in the connection to make the airflow more neutral to both sides. Either that, or my space saving plan goes to poo and I have to stretch this out differently, but in my really tight shop, space is at a premium.

Thanks for any ideas!

Kevin
IMG_2275.jpg

Dust collector 1.jpg

d_bondi

Understand the confusion. This was my setup idea. Similar to yours. However in this configuration, my impeller is turning in a clockwise direction, pulling air out of the Dust Deputy. However, the Dust Deputy air flow is working in a counterclockwise direction. The air meeting the impeller right where you can see the silver joint tape is air colliding and messing up the airflow. From the second pic, I have drawn an arrow of the airflow out of the impeller - heading to the Wynn Filter. So my issue is counterclockwise air flow coming out of the Dust Collector meeting the clockwise pull of the impeller is dropping the vortex action of the Dust Deputy way down due to the turbulence. I can't reverse the impeller, but thinking more about increasing the distance between the Dust Deputy and the impeller and adding something like airvanes in the connection to make the airflow more neutral to both sides. Either that, or my space saving plan goes to poo and I have to stretch this out differently, but in my really tight shop, space is at a premium.

Thanks for any ideas!

Kevin
Wow Kevin, that really does look familiar.

I took a look at the Oneida Mini-Gorilla which is a stacked design and it is set up like mine with both rotating the same direction. I got lucky here.

I think the best thing you can try is, as you said, increase the distance between the fan and the Dust Deputy. And, again, as you noted, if you can figure some way to include some straightening vanes or something that might also help. Something simple like a bunch of thin wall tubing in parallel in the extension. Here is a picture of what I mean.

Good luck keep sharing progress please.

David

Attachments

• Straightening Vanes.jpeg
    Straightening Vanes.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 13

NJturner

Wow Kevin, that really does look familiar.

I took a look at the Oneida Mini-Gorilla which is a stacked design and it is set up like mine with both rotating the same direction. I got lucky here.

I think the best thing you can try is, as you said, increase the distance between the fan and the Dust Deputy. And, again, as you noted, if you can figure some way to include some straightening vanes or something that might also help. Something simple like a bunch of thin wall tubing in parallel in the extension. Here is a picture of what I mean.

Good luck keep sharing progress please.

David
Yep. Brilliant minds think alike…lol! I did this a year or more ago and it worked ok until the filter just got overwhelmed due to the bad separation. I took it off line and haven't been using it for a while as I have been rethinking the setup. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I got hurt pretty bad on this lathe simply because my swarf built up in the headstock area due to the lack of the vacuum and my hand met the hidden spinning chuck. A few broken bones and a few stitches and I figured I better fix this.

I like the pipe straightener idea! I use 3/4 thin wall tube for casting bespoke length blanks, so I got some laying around. If I drop the collector bucket to the ground and eliminate the flex connector, I might be able to get enough space to give me 8" of straight pipe with the tubes in it. Otherwise, full rebuild.

I did clean the filter out. It was packed full and took some time to clean out, but I think it will be fine. They are pretty expensive to replace!

Thanks again!

d_bondi

Yep. Brilliant minds think alike…lol! I did this a year or more ago and it worked ok until the filter just got overwhelmed due to the bad separation. I took it off line and haven't been using it for a while as I have been rethinking the setup. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I got hurt pretty bad on this lathe simply because my swarf built up in the headstock area due to the lack of the vacuum and my hand met the hidden spinning chuck. A few broken bones and a few stitches and I figured I better fix this.

I like the pipe straightener idea! I use 3/4 thin wall tube for casting bespoke length blanks, so I got some laying around. If I drop the collector bucket to the ground and eliminate the flex connector, I might be able to get enough space to give me 8" of straight pipe with the tubes in it. Otherwise, full rebuild.

I did clean the filter out. It was packed full and took some time to clean out, but I think it will be fine. They are pretty expensive to replace!

Thanks again!

Ouch, sorry to hear of the injury, hope it heals quickly.

How do you clean your filter?

I turn my air compressor PRV down to about 60 PSI and then blow it out thoroughly, blowing what I can down into the filter so it falls down in the catch bucket. Then I remove the catch bucket and use my shop vac (with a HEPA filter setup) and an upholstery brush to clean the inside of the filter. I notice a big difference when I finally get around to doing it.

Obviously, make sure you figure a way to secure the tubing into the extension, you don't what to be fishing that out of your fan impeller.

WriteON

I bought the Penn State DC3 dust collector from a guy who hardly ever used it. My question is, can it be mounted on a wall, vertically, or maybe a mobile vertical stand.
Looking for some ideas, so please share some pictures if you have a little mobile dust collector.

Mike.
I'm pretty sure it can be wall mounted. Can I ask what you paid for PSI. I'm selling mine and want to establish a fair price. Mine in almost 10 years old but not much mileage

NJturner

Ouch, sorry to hear of the injury, hope it heals quickly.

How do you clean your filter?

I turn my air compressor PRV down to about 60 PSI and then blow it out thoroughly, blowing what I can down into the filter so it falls down in the catch bucket. Then I remove the catch bucket and use my shop vac (with a HEPA filter setup) and an upholstery brush to clean the inside of the filter. I notice a big difference when I finally get around to doing it.

Obviously, make sure you figure a way to secure the tubing into the extension, you don't what to be fishing that out of your fan impeller.
David - clean it pretty much the same way. In between deep cleanings, I will sometimes use a rubber mallet and do some tapping on the outside mesh to dislodge some of the larger build-ups as well. I think the important thing is to empty the filter catch bucket frequently - even when not much is in it - just to keep the dust in it from being disturbed and putting it back into the air where is gets then sucked into the filter.

My filter is at least 8-10 years old and still going strong - and I'd like to keep it that way!

Kevin

NJturner

That is really good to hear, mine is coming up on 3 years old.
So I decided to take a slightly different route. I dropped the 15' or so of horizontal ceiling pipe I had for the return to the dust collector area and found a fair amount of stuff in it that didn't make it to the Dust Deputy. My original setup was the Rockler blue collapsible hose like yours at the end of the horizontal ceiling pipe. for moving it around to machines and clean up. I moved it to where I needed it. Due to the issue with the air turbulence and now finding the remnants in the horizontal ceiling pipe, I am going to put the Dust Deputy and collector drum next to the lathe, with the blue Rockler hose right there to connect to the lathe manifold or for general cleanup. I'm going to then use the horizontal ceiling run to go from the Dust Deputy outport to the blower unit intake across the shop. I don't have the space to put them both together, for it would be my preferred choice, but no room. I'll then connect the horizontal piping to the intake of the blower assembly and output it to the Wynn filter right next to the blower. I'm hoping this does two things - no real materials having to traverse the horizontal piping keeping it less obstructed and an increase in airflow and separation since the blower and the Dust Deputy will be 15 feet from each other. Working on putting it together now - will post some pics when done!

d_bondi

So I decided to take a slightly different route. I dropped the 15' or so of horizontal ceiling pipe I had for the return to the dust collector area and found a fair amount of stuff in it that didn't make it to the Dust Deputy. My original setup was the Rockler blue collapsible hose like yours at the end of the horizontal ceiling pipe. for moving it around to machines and clean up. I moved it to where I needed it. Due to the issue with the air turbulence and now finding the remnants in the horizontal ceiling pipe, I am going to put the Dust Deputy and collector drum next to the lathe, with the blue Rockler hose right there to connect to the lathe manifold or for general cleanup. I'm going to then use the horizontal ceiling run to go from the Dust Deputy outport to the blower unit intake across the shop. I don't have the space to put them both together, for it would be my preferred choice, but no room. I'll then connect the horizontal piping to the intake of the blower assembly and output it to the Wynn filter right next to the blower. I'm hoping this does two things - no real materials having to traverse the horizontal piping keeping it less obstructed and an increase in airflow and separation since the blower and the Dust Deputy will be 15 feet from each other. Working on putting it together now - will post some pics when done!
Not sure I'm completely following but if you are removing the blue flex as a horizontal run, that is good, in any kind of duct work (which this basically is) flex is your arch enemy!!

NJturner

Timely as I'm considering the HF dust collector on sale @$199.00.
If you are considering this to provide the start for a dust collector mod, good plan. The blower is easily modified to allow adding a good Wynn Environmental filter by ditching the filter bag and replacing with the filter. I'd also add an Oneida Dust Deputy. Or you could save all this work and buy a fully configured Rockler or Laguna system and spend the same money the HF collector with the mods will cost. Either way you need a collector that can filter out 2 micron particles or it is not helping keep your shop air clean. Running the stock HF unit will not help your lungs - it cannot filter fine enough particles.

Top Bottom