Dust Collection System Upgrade... I hope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Well I thought I would upgrade my dust collection system when I had a bit of time this weekend.

I purchased an Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a dust bin.The Dust Deputy sits on the dust bin made out of fiberboard with a thin sticky foam gasket. It's a fifteen gallon bin and was worried about being unable to see the level of wood debris, shavings, debris or dust and that it would get sucked into the JET. The sensor that Oneida sells is expensive. Someone on another site (Sawmill Creek) gave me an idea of a window for the dust bin. I got some Lexan, 8600 Sealant and some socket head screws and put the window in.

I got the HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System from Craft Supplies. Fairly easy to assemble. It seems easy to adjust and keep in place.

Have not used either of them yet. Will see how it goes. Was just fun getting to do something else. Was peaceful.

Kind Regards,

Doc:)

Attachments

• Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a window for dust bin.jpg
    Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a window for dust bin.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a window for dust bin_1.jpg
    Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a window for dust bin_1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 237
  • HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System.jpg
    HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 235
  • HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System_2.jpg
    HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System_2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 212
  • HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System_1.jpg
    HC Black Hole Dust Catcher System_1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

That's one clean work area. You need to start making some chips! I am sure you will like the set up, since you will pretty much never need to empty the bag ever again.

mmayo

I have the same vortex chip collector and it works. Two suggestions: be sure the check the level of chips in the Oneida often and do not assume that your dust collector will only get 1% of the total from your lathe. I get less with the Oneida inline but still get some.

I like the product a lot!

Last edited:

wizard

Advice..

Thank you for your kind responses! I wanted to find if any of you had experience with the products and ask for some advice. I usually turn custom pens, usually acrylic or resin, and use water spray for cooling and water when ising Micromesh. Some of the water or moisture will eventually end up in the dust bin. The dust bin I initially thought was a resin or fiber board/resin product. But it turns out to almost a completely paper product. When I started to cut it with Dremel SawMax... it started to burn and had a lot of smoke. So I can't really have water or moisture in the container. I tried to find another bin or metal drum for the Super Dust Deputy. Turns out that Oneida make any that fit that HDPE molded version or that even match the diameter. They make one for the 5"version and others. The molded vortex portion slopes upward from the sides so you can't really bolt it to a flat surface. If I use a plastic bag it would likely get sucked up in the dust collector. To prevent moistue I thought just using something like Valspar marine polurethane laquer in the dust bin to keep moisture off the surface. What do you think? Any ideas on how to find a transparent dust bin. Thank you in advance!
Doc:)

TonyL

Has anyone found these to reduce the vacuum pressure/suction at the point of the lathe/tool?

bmachin

Going with Oneida was a smart move. I installed a fixed system of theirs about 20 years ago and am very happy with it. Recently added the small Dust Deputy to my shop vac.

Oneida sells liner bag retainer sleeve for their containers here:

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-collectors/system-components/containers/bag-holder-sleeves

Kind of pricey, but saves having to dump an unwieldy container with the mess that entails. 15 gallons might not be so bad, but mine is 30 and that can get ugly.

Bill

wizard

Well I tried out the Flex Seal that Chuck mentioned. Wow, I had no idea you could get liquid rubber in a can. Saw the liner but I had put a window to look at level of dust and chips in the can and ....wasn't sure if it would obscure the window.

Attachments

• C2C40EEF-2855-45A1-BA0A-6DB43C16BB3F.jpg
    C2C40EEF-2855-45A1-BA0A-6DB43C16BB3F.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 120
Top Bottom