Duck calls that turned out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So, after a couple trials and errors, I finally finished 3 duck calls that I actually like. Still trying to narrow down an original design but these actually just took shape as I went. Lol
20230930_211303.jpg

20231001_110639.jpg

20231002_180000.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Knowing little about Duck Calls and preferred ways of holding them, I certainly like the Bocote one. It just looks a little longer and perhaps a little easier to hold? They are all nice though. - Dave

bsshog40

Knowing little about Duck Calls and preferred ways of holding them, I certainly like the Bocote one. It just looks a little longer and perhaps a little easier to hold? They are all nice though. - Dave
Thanks Dave! The bocote is 4", the maple is 3 1/2" and the blackwood is 2 1/2".

bugradx2

nice work! I was just looking the other day at conversation history to see if you'd posted about making calls now that it's cooling off

Woodchipper

Found that Woodcraft sells some duck call items. Who sells turkey call kits?
Edit: bsshog40, where did you get the lanyard?

bugradx2

Thanks! Ya the weather has been better lately. Felt good to do a little turning.
I'll bet!

How hard was it to turn the calls? I can't remember where you got the reed from the conversation this summer. Would you mind refreshing me?

bsshog40

I'll bet!

How hard was it to turn the calls? I can't remember where you got the reed from the conversation this summer. Would you mind refreshing me?
The hardest thing about turning these is trying to come up with an original shape that still serves the purpose of being a good call. I know a couple duck hunters and from what they say, different sizes make different sounds. So I think just using my imagination with different shapes is just gonna be a preference to the caller. As for the inserts, I got a couple double reeds from woodturningz and then bought some colored single reeds off ebay. These all have rubber wedges plus, you can also buy reeds and re-do these to your preference. Not sure if I'm gonna go down the path of making my own inserts yet. I actually 3d printed one that turned out good but it still had that slight rough 3d surface. Gotta try and figure out a good way of buffing it smooth without applying too much heat to it. If I can figure that out, I may just 3d print more of them and buy reeds and wedges and experiment with that. Hope I helped ya out. I've duck hunted years ago but never used a call, so learning what is a good or bad sound is out of my expertise right now. Lol I know they quack! Lmao

bugradx2

The hardest thing about turning these is trying to come up with an original shape that still serves the purpose of being a good call. I know a couple duck hunters and from what they say, different sizes make different sounds. So I think just using my imagination with different shapes is just gonna be a preference to the caller. As for the inserts, I got a couple double reeds from woodturningz and then bought some colored single reeds off ebay. These all have rubber wedges plus, you can also buy reeds and re-do these to your preference. Not sure if I'm gonna go down the path of making my own inserts yet. I actually 3d printed one that turned out good but it still had that slight rough 3d surface. Gotta try and figure out a good way of buffing it smooth without applying too much heat to it. If I can figure that out, I may just 3d print more of them and buy reeds and wedges and experiment with that. Hope I helped ya out. I've duck hunted years ago but never used a call, so learning what is a good or bad sound is out of my expertise right now. Lol I know they quack! Lmao
My thought was to just somewhat mimic the shape of some of the calls I've already got and start from there. I have a cool blank that I bought last spring that has been set aside to make a goose call out of. Probably time to get started on it. Thanks for the heads up on woodturningz

Top Bottom