Duck Call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

To start off I'd like to say that sometimes you never know until you turn it. I enjoy casting blanks probably more than turning. The problem with that is I see more flaws and spots that most people wouldn't notice or think twice about. I have a few friends that don't want me to throw anything away until they look at it. When it comes to call blanks I guess since the resin is so much thicker the light shows things that will disappear after turning. Although it doesn't always disappear it does occasionally. After casting this blank I wasn't happy with either of the ends. There was something going on that wasn't right. I thought about throwing it away several times but hung onto it in case I needed something to give away or whatever. Well I'm thinking about giving a young man the call for his first duck hunt. He's a good kid so I figured this might be a good home for the blank. I was able to trim most of the bad spot from the mouth piece and what I couldn't trim off the other I was able to hide with the ring. I'm really surprised and pleased with the way it came out. The spot on the mouth piece looks like distortion in the resin and not a flaw. Questions and Comments Welcome.

Attachments

• 1312C260-99B7-4CB4-A673-EF1230769A99.jpeg
    1312C260-99B7-4CB4-A673-EF1230769A99.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 169
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I'm glad you didn't toss it. I think it turned out awesome! … and the rattles are a great touch!
I'm sure he will more than excited to receive it.
I'm guessing all of his friends are going to want one.

Kenny Durrant

On a bad note I haven't hunted in several years. On the positive side my buddies that want one also turn. I enjoy sitting at my little table in a spare room making blanks. My workshop is the garage so it's too hot or too cold most of the time. In my hobby room it's climate controlled. Plus if I close the blinds I don't need to get properly dressed. Anyway I can make a blank a lot easier than going in the garage and turning the call. The guys I hang out with all do woodworking but we also have something the others don't do. That way we can do things for each other and not have to spend money to buy what we need or start up a whole new system.

BULLWINKLE

Absolutely awesome. I'm glad you didn't throw it away. It's a really great piece. Turning is great job and even enlarging your photo, I can't see a single flaw.

Top Bottom