Drying blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

Ok I know most likely this horse has been beat to death here !!! BUT what is the best way to dry blanks ? I just won that cherry root burl auction and its on the way wet cut into blanks !! I never messed with raw aka really wet wood whata I do just stack it up so it can get air in the shop and wait a year or what [:I]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

You can do that or I know some of the people here put it in a brown bag and store it near their water heater for about a month. Or bury it in the yard and start some spalting. Others microwave it. http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/microwavedrying.htm Microwaving seems to do pretty good with a couple of warnings - it will produce odors and it can twist your blanks. I just bought a small scale on Ebay so I can start to monitor my weights to determine when it is really dry.

Pipes

Originally posted by ldimick
<br />You can do that or I know some of the people here put it in a brown bag and store it near their water heater for about a month. Or bury it in the yard and start some spalting. Others microwave it. http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/microwavedrying.htm Microwaving seems to do pretty good with a couple of warnings - it will produce odors and it can twist your blanks. I just bought a small scale on Ebay so I can start to monitor my weights to determine when it is really dry.

Okie dokie thanks I got the scales here we weigh tobacco and such on ! and we got a couple a those small gram scales from back when we sold gold so I can do that I wonder when you know what it pose to weigh dry or !!! is it dry when the weight stops going down ? [:)]
Most likely I will just stack it and weigh it now and then see when it stops going down in weight then turn a piece !should I wax the ends and if so what kina wax ??

Cherry Burl shrinks a great deal when drying, so if you plan on cutting it, make sure it is oversized by at least 30%.

How thick is the wood? A rule of thumb is 1 year for every inch of thickness.

It is always a good idea to seal any wood while drying (Anchorseal). I have really good luck with cherry burl, it doesn't seem to crack as easliy as regular cherry.

woodwish

Lots of ways to dry it, although just cutting and stacking seems to work as good as any if you have time to wait. I took an old refrigerator (counter top size, not a big one), stuck a pancake fan in it to circulate air (one of those flat ones make to quietly cool electronics), put in a 100w light bulb on a dimmer in there, and stuck a thermometer through the door. The dimmer allows me to control the heat. I dipped the ends of the pen blanks in parafin wax made for canning, just because I can melt it easy in a double boiler. A few weeks in there and they were mostly dry.

Dario

If you are in a hurry, nothing beats the microwave. Just don't be too much in a hurry that you burn them...microwave can turn your blanks into charcoal from inside out FAST. DAMHIKT [}:)]

I've harvested wood, milled, dry (microwave) and turn into pen all in one day!

But for normal drying I just stack them in air dry. Cherry does twist, bend, shrink, warp, etc. and the slower the drying the better (except microwave lol).

pmburk

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />I know this question was asked in another thread, but I don't remember the answer. Has anyone everr tried drying blanks using a de-hydrator?
You know, I think you have a great idea. I'll keep that idea in mind.

Texas Taco

<br />I know this question was asked in another thread, but I don't remember the answer. Has anyone everr tried drying blanks using a de-hydrator?

I found an article on this a couple of years ago and I think I saved a copy of it. I'll see if I can find it and post the info here. The best I can remember of the article was that they thought the de-hydrator was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rifleman1776

I had a bunch of dogwood that was getting ravaged by buggies and wormies. Had planned on making a variety of things from it but just saving it took priority. Cut all into pen blanks and put about two dozen at a time in the microwave for about seven minutes. Both quick dried and murdered the critters. No cracking or twisting. Worked fine.

It's called a kiln, been used for years.

http://theoak.com/solar/index.html

whatwoodido

you can dip them in alcohol, that will accelerate the drying process, and reduces checks greatly. If you brown bag them and they are close to a final length, don;t put them near a heat source, it actually counter acts the purpose of placing them in the bag. Also you specific location will determine how you should dry them. Take your advice from someone from an area with similar humidity levels.

Drew

Pipes

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />

It's called a kiln, been used for years.

http://theoak.com/solar/index.html

My wife has a BIG fancy kiln for ceramics she doen't use anymore ! I could set the temp at anything I want its digital controled BUT man it is a power eater wired for 220 but still! Is that the kina kiln used ????

Dario

Pipes you crack me up LOL. It may work but there are much better and more efficient way to do it. Did I mention microwave 1,000 times already? [:D]

How much does that kiln weigh? If you ever consider selling it (since your wife doesn't use it anymore) my sister in law is looking for one so let me know. I know those are not cheap so shoot me an e-mail for details if you ever plan on selling it.

woodwish

Tip,

Someone else told me about using a old dishwasher, and it sounds like it should work about the same. Both are insulated and all that. The shelves in the fridge is an advantage but the big advantage to using a DW is that it is designed to fit under counters easily. Are you using the built-in heater in the DW or a light bulb?

Pipes

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Pipes you crack me up LOL. It may work but there are much better and more efficient way to do it. Did I mention microwave 1,000 times already? [:D]

How much does that kiln weigh? If you ever consider selling it (since your wife doesn't use it anymore) my sister in law is looking for one so let me know. I know those are not cheap so shoot me an e-mail for details if you ever plan on selling it.

Darn thing I bet weighs in atleast 200 lbs I think maybe less ! And I doubt she would sell it were the kind that keep everything... and My garage and house show it LOL ..Of course when I need somthing I can't find it NO place !! I actually lost 2 pipes on our kitchen table tonight LOL...a pack rat married to a pack rat is not a good thing in some ways :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom