Dry time for stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All,
Can someone give an idea of about how long it takes for poly to dry when used for stabilizing? The blanks are 3/4'" x 3", spalted and punky Euc wood. They did the sink and re-float thing a couple of times so I pulled them and set them in the sun. I just want to know how long I can expect to wait before I can turn them. It is about 90 degrees here, although they are back inside, they were out for a couple of hours. Low humidity. The poly is semi gloss. Any ideas on how to speed up the possess?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by stevers
<br />Thats what I was afraid of. I'm not known for my patients.

Think about a minor change to your priorities and planning - just a tad. I am not real patient either, but on things that require patience, I have learned add an extra item for my mental "to do" list as a part of planning.

If I know that I want to make a pen "now" that requires "waiting", such as using 30 minute epoxied blanks that take two hours or more to "cure" beyond just hardening I am in trouble. Instead, I set up some blanks with 30 min epoxy, but make my current "priority" to do something else, cut some blanks, clean my lathe table, even make a few pens using some already made up blanks. I usually forget about the newly epoxied blanks and then the next time I am in the shop, viola, I have them ready.

Blowouts and cracks of what should have been beautiful blanks have forced me into this. I see some beautiful wood here and then recognize that I have some too. I recognize that I have, in my impatience, have destroyed beautiful blanks that on the right pen and finish would have been worth $200 easily. I did this two weeks ago on a "freebie" desert ironwood from BB that he sent 2 years ago.

(Note: I use CA on some blanks (slimlines); 5 min epoxy for one or two blanks; 30 min when doing 4 to 6 blanks. )

stevers

I know what your talking about Hank. Right now I'm almost out of kits, so I probably wont have much to turn for a while. So I am trying to find other things to do. Like you said, cutting some of my found wood into blanks is something to keep me busy. If I can get busy enough, I can forget about the slow moving projects. I'm also getting a little better with age.

toolcrazy

I'm kinda the opposite. I don't have much time in the shop. So I've learned that I make good use of my time and don't get in a hurry. If I get in a hurry, I end up doing things twice and this wastes time that I could use on other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom