Drum sander recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

I picked up a used drum sander about 18 months ago & its getting to the point that I'm spending more time repairing than sanding. The old sander paid for it self, several times over ... Looking for something in the 18 - 20 inch range. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have the Performax 16/32 and had it over 20 years. One of the first ones out. I just had a part strip out where the crank handle is and I did get a replacement part but have not yet gotten to installing. My back will not allow me to bend over and do this but I do need to get it done. Will need it when I get back to scroll sawing in a couple months. I dimension all my lumber. and this sander is a workhorse in my shop. Get the Jet. They do have a 12/24 if space is a problem.

socdad

I have the Performax 16/32 and had it over 20 years. One of the first ones out. I just had a part strip out where the crank handle is and I did get a replacement part but have not yet gotten to installing. My back will not allow me to bend over and do this but I do need to get it done. Will need it when I get back to scroll sawing in a couple months. I dimension all my lumber. and this sander is a workhorse in my shop. Get the Jet. They do have a 12/24 if space is a problem.
Thanks John, I have an old Performax 22/44 that I got second hand. Takes up way too much space & having multiple small problems, like I said spending more time repairing than sanding ... I've looked at the 16/32 at Woodcraft, I'd go pick one up if they were open, might just order it ...

Last edited:

jttheclockman

When I needed a part for my Performax just recently, I talked to Jet and they told me they took over the performax small end drum sander line and that is why they look exactly like the same sander. In fact most parts are interchangeable. Could not be without it. Years ago I built a cabinet for the sander and has worked out well all these years. Keep all my sanding stuff in there and is on wheels so I roll it out any time I need. It uses a 2" dust port so my shop vac works great there even though I did and still do have a hose from my full size dust collector. But found shop vac works well.

MyDadsPens

drum sanders are very expensive - even though they are relatively simple machines. I would have recommended having a professional repair it correctly. A retired machinist might be had for $100 ish. A few years ago an old machinist repaired a 1930s drill press for me including machining 2 new parts for $40. How do you find retired or cheap machinist ? I have seen them advertise on craigslist, but I found mine by calling regular shops and telling them I had a very small job with no urgent time demands and asked them if they knew anyone (retired or laid off) that was bored

socdad

drum sanders are very expensive - even though they are relatively simple machines. I would have recommended having a professional repair it correctly. A retired machinist might be had for $100 ish. A few years ago an old machinist repaired a 1930s drill press for me including machining 2 new parts for $40. How do you find retired or cheap machinist ? I have seen them advertise on craigslist, but I found mine by calling regular shops and telling them I had a very small job with no urgent time demands and asked them if they knew anyone (retired or laid off) that was bored
I thought of that, even had a friend that was able to repair for me at no cost (except parts); however it would have still taken up too much room in my shop.

jfoh

I have a 10/20 that I am thinking about replacing with a bigger version or a belt sander system. 10/20 works well if you get the belt flat and tight. You can do a lot of fine work fast, once they are set up right. I am only about half an hour from you in Wyoming.

socdad

I have a 10/20 that I am thinking about replacing with a bigger version or a belt sander system. 10/20 works well if you get the belt flat and tight. You can do a lot of fine work fast, once they are set up right. I am only about half an hour from you in Wyoming.
I picked up a Supermax 16-32, it works perfectly for what I do. I had a booth at the Wyoming Art Show for several years ...

Build your own! Shop Notes has plans for one, and can be modified to any size you want. With or without power feed. I built one 32" without power feed and it works just great for me.

mmayo

I cannot imagine going back to a time BEFORE my Superman 16/32 drum sander. I hate to right attachment point for the sanding belts, but it is a wonderful tool. I plane now proud of the desired thickness and sand the rest. Snipe usually goes away too as well as knife marks. Use powerful dust collection and turn it on. Don't ask how I know that.

socdad

I cannot imagine going back to a time BEFORE my Superman 16/32 drum sander. I hate to right attachment point for the sanding belts, but it is a wonderful tool. I plane now proud of the desired thickness and sand the rest. Snipe usually goes away too as well as knife marks. Use powerful dust collection and turn it on. Don't ask how I know that.
Funny you mentioned the dust collector. I had no idea how much dust 'escaped' until I ran the sander through my 10 year old Harbor Freight! Picked up a net Jet with the cartridge filter …

Top Bottom