Drop spindle spinners for DIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

My DIL asked me to make some drop spindle yarn spinners for her.
20191110_134839.jpg
20191109_185435.jpg

She had very specific weight requirements the heavier the spindle the thicker the yarn.

Got some more usage out of my 12 sided segmented jig.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Why turn a simple spindle when you can turn a segmented spindle? ;) ;)

Wonderful work Cliff.

Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

Have no idea what that is or how it is used but does look cool. I want to make some bidhouse ornaments with that type designs hopefully over the winter. Thanks for showing.

chartle

Have no idea what that is or how it is used but does look cool. I want to make some bidhouse ornaments with that type designs hopefully over the winter. Thanks for showing.
It's for spinning yard, used before spinning wheels. Here is a demo but this is a bottom whorl. I made top whorls.

chartle

Looks great Cliff! I'd love to see some of these at a Chapter Mtg.
I dont seem to get any notifications on when the next meeting is.

Also haven't turned anything since last feburary. All summer I've been remodeling my house.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I dont seem to get any notifications on when the next meeting is.

Also haven't turned anything since last feburary. All summer I've been remodeling my house.

Not much has been announced. I will work with the new forum software to get the bulk Chapter announcements sent out. (Jeff is working on this addition).

And I fully understand your shop time. Just today I was back behind the lathe/benches for 4 hrs. Felt great, and as we will be snowed in tomorrow (I hope), I will get another day in the shop. 👍

chartle

Not much has been announced. I will work with the new forum software to get the bulk Chapter announcements sent out. (Jeff is working on this addition).

And I fully understand your shop time. Just today I was back behind the lathe/benches for 4 hrs. Felt great, and as we will be snowed in tomorrow (I hope), I will get another day in the shop. 👍
I would check the ohio local chapter forum for meetings but just haven't been around here much. 😕

chartle

Thanks for the link. I guess it is needed. I still like the look.
My DIL does a lot of knitting stuff. She sells patterns online and is building a business. She is also teaching.

I may have to get some roving and try making my own yard. 🙂

jttheclockman

My DIL does a lot of knitting stuff. She sells patterns online and is building a business. She is also teaching.

I may have to get some roving and try making my own yard. 🙂
Knitting needles. Thimbles, forget what those other poky things are that are popular, you can go into business together. Good luck and thanks for showing. I learned something today but have to admit I will store it well back of the brain :)

chartle

Why turn a simple spindle when you can turn a segmented spindle? ;) ;)

Wonderful work Cliff.

Thanks for sharing.

Besides looking :cool: I think there is a little bit of engineerding* here.

By using segments the whorl is less likely to warp due to the grain not all running in the same direction, should make it less likely to split if dropped and balance is important so segmenting should also help.

miss spelling intentional ;)

chartle

Knitting needles. Thimbles, forget what those other poky things are that are popular, you can go into business together. Good luck and thanks for showing. I learned something today but have to admit I will store it well back of the brain :)

Poky things like crochet hooks? You DON'T want to start a knitter vs crocheter war. :)

jttheclockman

Poky things like crochet hooks? You DON'T want to start a knitter vs crocheter war. :)
No I called crochet hooks, knitting needles. Not sure if they are they same thing. But the poky thing I was thinking of is seam rippers
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSR2.html They were all the rage here for awhile too. Have to get out of this for I am in waters I can not swim in at all. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cliff, this is a way cool project. I love/admire the segmenting. Some day, I'll progress from 1/16" slices to 3/8"+ segments. Until then I can appreciate and admire.

Very nice

chartle

Cliff, this is a way cool project. I love/admire the segmenting. Some day, I'll progress from 1/16" slices to 3/8"+ segments. Until then I can appreciate and admire.

Very nice
I'm giving my eyes a break and keeping stuff large scale for now.

To make the pen in my profile pic and few other projects like my segmented ornament took a few Solo cups of little pieces. :)

20190303_102354.jpg
cups of little pieces.jpg

Top Bottom