Drilling trustone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I searched this topic and didn't locate my answer. Do you need a masonry drill bit to drill a trustone blank?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I use regular bits, clean out the bit/hole frequently, and cool the bit down with water if it get hot. I also make sure that the bit is very cool when exiting, or cut the blank with a bit of material extra and cut the excess off. I usually do not use a blank with extra material - I drill straight through; but I do measure carefully and know when my bit is 1/8" away from the exit length. Then I cool the bit off and go very slowly the last 1/8".

But, I have never had problems with my regular bits, properly sharpened and sized for the tube.

randyrls

Do you need a masonry drill bit to drill a trustone blank?

Michael; Just a regular twist bit is OK. Don't use brad point bits. Cut the blank so it is at least 1/4" longer than the tube(s). Mark the center. Mark the drill bit against the tube(s) with a sharpie. Drill from the center outward until you reach the proper depth. Don't let the drill bit break through the end of the blank. Now cut off the un-drilled end to exact length plus 1/32". Get a rattle spray can of white. Give the inside of the drilled blank a PSSSSHHTT from each end and let dry. Glue with your favorite glue. Knock the corners off with a disk sander. Caution! Tru-Stone blanks vary a LOT in hardness and brittleness. Some are soft, some are hard enough to laugh at HSS.

Dieseldoc

Working with true stone develop another problem during assembly. It will crack unless you have insured the inside of the tube is very clean and smooth that takes very little pressure to install the nib. What I do is finger tight the fit and use loc tight red to hold the nib.

Top Bottom