Drilling on the Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

apple wood.jpg
It seems with drilling with a 12.5 mm bit the hole doesn't maintain the same size, or the hole shifts because as you can see the brass binds when inserted into the blank. I'm using a 12.5 mm jobber bit. I'm curious what bits you use and if you have any idea why it's binding like this? I do go slow and use a starter bit on the hole so things run true.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I use jobber bits whenever possible and I also use a stubby starter bit. I rarely see this happening. My thoughts are wood that is not sufficiently dry enough might cause it or cooling your bits with water, as I see some suggest, (not a good idea). Do your bits wobble as you are drilling? Are they sharp? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Last edited:

monophoto

David

If I understand correctly, your problem is that a 12.5mm OD tube binds when inserted into a hole drilled with a 12.5mm bit.

There are several things that could cause a hole to be deformed - tailstock wobble is very common on smaller lathes (there are several posts that discuss this problem), but I would think that if the tailstock is wobbling, it is likely that the deformation that would result is that the hole would be slightly conical with the minimum diameter equal to the diameter of the drill bit. And I could visualize a situation where the two ends of a hole would be conical, with the diameter where the two cones intersect equal to the bit diameter. But in either case, I can't see how the ID of the hole could be less than the OD of the drill bit (except for the possibility of shrinkage as discussed below).

So that leads be to speculate about other things that might cause the kind of binding your are experiencing. Two things come to mind. First, have you actually measured the OD of the tube and the diameter of the drill bit using the same measuring instrument? Incidentally, I think most people would agree that you don't want the diameters of the bit and tube to be exactly the same - the diameter of the bit needs to be very slightly greater than the diameter of the tube so that the hole is very slightly oversized, leaving space around the tube for glue.

The second thing I would wonder about is what kind of material are you drilling. If it is wood, drilling will heat the wood, and the heat will drive out moisture causing the wood to shrink. Even so-called 'kiln-dried' wood still contains moisture. I recently made some small end-grain boxes in which I first sized the tenon to match a recess in the top of the box, giving a reasonably snug fit so that the bottom of the box could be used a a jam chuck when shaping the top of the box. Then, I used a drill bit to drill out the body (bottom) of the box, but then found that the tenon that had been a snug fit into the recess had shrunk and had become quite loose. That experience leads me to wonder if it is possible that you problem comes about when the wood dries causing the wood to shrink, forcing the hole to become very slightly smaller.

The third possibility is that the drill bit wandered off axis as you were drilling. Again, this tends to be more common in drilling wood and comes about when the bit is advanced into the wood so rapidly that it flexes and starts following grain lines in the wood. Wood grows faster in the summer than in the winter, so summer-growth wood is softer than winter-growth wood. If the timber you are working with has distinct grain lines, it is possible that the bit deflected resulting in the hole not being absolutely straight. In this instance, the hole can have the correct ID, but the tube will still bind since it can't easily deflect to adapt to the curve in the hole.

Most of the information you read about drilling advises slowing down the lathe (to 300-500 r/min) and withdrawing the bit every so often to remove the buildup of swarf in the flutes in the bit. Friction between compacted swarf in the flutes in the inside lining of the drilled hole can cause more heat that friction between the bit itself and the wood. But I would modify that advice slightly - I favor a slightly higher rotational speed when drilling, but advancing the bit into the wood very slowly (while still periodically withdrawing the bit to clear the swarf). That way, the tip of the bit is actually cutting a hole in the wood on axis with the bit. But if you advance the bit too quickly, you can force the bit to deviate off axis and into that softer summer-growth wood resulting in a bent hole.

Painfullyslow

I've seen the same problem when drilling larger holes (12.5) on my drill press. Whenever I am drilling a blank that does not contain metal I use a brad point bit. That seems to eliminate the issue for me.

farmer

I cut down a drill bit into a shorty and start a hole .
Forstner bits work to and easy to shorten

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You are drilling wood.

If wood is slightly wet, it "closes" the hole after drilling.
See if you have the same problem on a product that does not "move", like an acrylic blank.

montmill

Thanks for the information. I switched out to a brad point bit and it went great. Nice straight hole. I suspect my jobber bit was dull. I'm drilling on a Jet Mini lathe with an add on variable speed control and would like to drill a little slower too. Maybe in the future I'll drill larger holes on my Robust Liberty lathe.

monophoto

Thanks for the information. I switched out to a brad point bit and it went great. Nice straight hole. I suspect my jobber bit was dull. I'm drilling on a Jet Mini lathe with an add on variable speed control and would like to drill a little slower too. Maybe in the future I'll drill larger holes on my Robust Liberty lathe.

Don't want to be excessively pedantic here, but the term 'jobber bit' refers to the length of the flute on the bit and not the style of the bit. In general, the flute on 'jobber bits' is about 8-12 times the diameter of the bit. "Jobber" is one of three length classifications (that I'm aware of - there may be more). 'Mechanic's bits' have a shorter flute, while 'aircraft bits' are longer. There is an ASTM standard that specifies both bit length and flute length for jobber bits.

Instead, I think you are talking about a general purpose twist drill bit with a 118deg point angle. In your case, the bit was 12.5mm which is about 1/2" - a 1/2" jobber bit is a bit that is 6" long and has a flute that is 4 1/2" long.

You mentioned that the bit could be dull - it's relatively easy to tune up larger general purpose twist drills. I keep some diamond paddles in the shop for that purpose - a couple of swipes over each of the cutters on the bit is all that it takes. Smaller bits are harder to sharpen - which is probably one of the reasons they are often sold in packages of five of six. Of course, if you want to get fancy, there's always a Drill Doctor.

Last edited:

Joebobber

Im sure this has been said, forgive me for not reading all of the previous replies, but to prevent that I either use a brad point, drill a pilot hole, or sharpen my jobber bit.

farmer

Use compressed air .... Get a air compressor and Blow gun and shoot air into the hole as your drilling or put a vacuum hose up to the hole to suck out the chips.
Understand part the issue is getting the chips out the hole because they get between the bit and the hole and create more resistance.
The byproduct of all resistance is heat...

walshjp17

Another factor to consider: often a drill bit will follow the grain of a wood blank. In a blank with multiple grain directions - think burls (or burrs for our friends on the other side of the pond). The blank in the OP appears to be highly figured and may have multiple grain directions. Constantly backing the bit out to clear chips and dust could cause the bit to "follow a different path" (pattern).

SteveG

A rat tail or round file (available in different diameters) can easily and quickly correct the binding you describe, and allow the tube to fit nicely.

KenB259

Another factor to consider: often a drill bit will follow the grain of a wood blank. In a blank with multiple grain directions - think burls (or burrs for our friends on the other side of the pond). The blank in the OP appears to be highly figured and may have multiple grain directions. Constantly backing the bit out to clear chips and dust could cause the bit to "follow a different path" (pattern).
That's exactly the reason brad point bits, not the case here though, are not the best choice for drilling into end grain.

Top Bottom