Drilling jaws and chuck for mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ddw04

Hello everyone Hopfully this is considered an accessory, but over the passed month have been having so much trouble with a drill press I borrowed from my neighbor and so im finally considering trying to drill with my mini lathe but dont want to get the wrong drill chuck and drill jaws. Below is a link to a manual to my lathe and a link to the drill chuck and drill jaws I'm looking at. Hopfully someone can help me determine if these will fit my lathe. I know they both say mini lathe but I dont know if it's for a certain mini lathe.

Attachments

• 65345.pdf
    861.9 KB · Views: 618
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi.

The manual (attachment) indicates a MT2, which is typical and has many options. Your first link ( 1/2" Mini Lathe Drill Chuck) is also MT2, so that's fine. The second link (2" mini lathe drill chuck) is MT1, so that is not compatable (your lathe is a MT2 for the headstock and tailstock).

Simply, when I drill the tube holes on my lathe, I hold the blank in a collet chuck in my headstock, or occasionally a pin chuck in my headstock (several other options , e.g. , 4 jaw chucks, etc), and have the drill in a tailstock drill chuck (like your first link - actually what I use). So your first link is good. Just need a headstock method to hold the blank. KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!

I suspect/hope that others will give additional suggestions.

Oh... Have FUN! ;)

monophoto

In order to drill on your lathe, you are going to need two accessories - a jacobs chuck that fits into the tailstock and that holds drill bits, and (probably) a scroll chuck that fits into the headstock to hold the workpiece that you are drilling. That is, the blank is rotating, while a stationary bit cuts the hole. But it is important that you purchase the correct size accessories to fit onto your lathe. I say 'probably' because there are actually several options for holding the blank, with a jacobs chuck being the most popular.

Let me caution you that you can't always believe the published information about these low-end Chinese-made lathes. The instruction book that came with my first lathe (very similar to yours) contained totally incorrect information about the size accessories required for the machine. So it would be prudent to make a few measurements to confirm that the specifications are correct before you spend money on accessories. The specification for your lathe, page 8, states that the headstock is an MT-2. Normally, it's safe to assume that the headstock and tailstock are machined to receive the same taper, but there is at least one popular lathe where this isn't the case, so a quick check is in order.

Let me suggest that you make some simple measurements on your lathe to see if you can believe the published information. You want to measure the outside diameter and thread pitch of the headstock spindle, the inside diameter of the opening in the end of that spindle, and the inside diameter of the throat of the tailstock ram. If the lathe is in fact an MT-2, then the headstock spindle probably has a 1" OD, and an 8 per inch thread pitch. You don't need to be extremely precise in the measurements since the most likely alternative would be a 3/4" OD, and a 16 per inch thread pitch.

Secondly, you need to make sure that headstock spindle and tailstock ram are both machined to receive an MT-2 fitting. Again, the most likely alternative would be an MT-1 opening. The ID of the opening for an MT-2 fitting should be 0.7 inches while an MT-1 opening would be 0.475 inches, so again the measurement doesn't have to be extremely precise.

If your lathe actually is designed to use MT-2 accessories, then the jacobs (drill) chuck you have selected should be fine. It's a 1/2" chuck rather than a 3/8" chuck; you might be able to find a less expensive 3/8" chuck, but over time you may come to appreciate the added flexibility of being able to grip a larger drill shank. It's a keyed chuck, which means that it can actually get a tighter grip on drill bits than a keyless chuck. The only downside of a keyed chuck compared with a keyless is that if you inadvertently leave the key in the chuck while drilling, and if the chuck starts to spin, it could throw the key at you (dangerous) or into the pile of shavings under the lathe (a nuisance). I personally prefer a keyed chuck.

However, I have concerns about the three-jaw minichuck you selected. First, it mounts via an MT1 taper, and if your lathe is actually MT-2, it won't fit. Also, that's a really small chuck, and I think you will quickly find that the capabilities of that chuck limit the range of things you will be able do. And frankly, that chuck doesn't have very good reviewer ratings. I suggest that you look instead at a four-jaw chuck that screws onto the headstock spindle rather than mounts using a morse taper. That will be a more hefty chuck (and it will be more expensive), but in the long run it will give you a lot more flexibility for taking on a variety of projects. The chuck you identified uses 'tommy bars' to tighten - that's a perfectly fine arrangement although there are more convenient options (on more expensive chucks).

One final point - I assume that you are making pens. In that case, there are two requirements for the hole:
1. To facilitate glueing the tube into the blank, the hole must be straight and have a fairly consistent diameter. What that means is that the drill bit must rotate about an axis that is coincident with the center of the bit. In other words, the bit must be mounted squarely in the drill chuck such that it doesn't 'wobble' as you are drilling. It's usually easier to mount a bit correctly in a jacobs chuck for a lathe because you can remove the chuck, and look at the end of the bit to make sure that it is straight in the chuck jaws. With a drill press, you have to test the drill to make sure it's not wobbling before you start drilling.
2. The hole would normally be centered on one end of the blank, but it doesn't have to be exactly centered at the other end. Instead, the only requirement is that there be enough 'meat' around the hole to allow you to turn the body without cutting into the hole. It's perfectly OK for the hole to be angled a bit in the blank as long as it comes out the other end with enough material to be able to turn the blank around the hole. Again, this is easier to do on a lathe because you can grip the blank in jaws. When drilling on a drill press, you have to worry about whether you are holding the blank in a perfectly plumb alignment with the axis of the drill press.

Last edited:

Ddw04

In order to drill on your lathe, you are going to need two accessories - a jacobs chuck that fits into the tailstock and that holds drill bits, and (probably) a scroll chuck that fits into the headstock to hold the workpiece that you are drilling. That is, the blank is rotating, while a stationary bit cuts the hole. But it is important that you purchase the correct size accessories to fit onto your lathe. I say 'probably' because there are actually several options for holding the blank, with a jacobs chuck being the most popular.

Let me caution you that you can't always believe the published information about these low-end Chinese-made lathes. The instruction book that came with my first lathe (very similar to yours) contained totally incorrect information about the size accessories required for the machine. So it would be prudent to make a few measurements to confirm that the specifications are correct before you spend money on accessories. The specification for your lathe, page 8, states that the headstock is an MT-2. Normally, it's safe to assume that the headstock and tailstock are machined to receive the same taper, but there is at least one popular lathe where this isn't the case, so a quick check is in order.

Let me suggest that you make some simple measurements on your lathe to see if you can believe the published information. You want to measure the outside diameter and thread pitch of the headstock spindle, the inside diameter of the opening in the end of that spindle, and the inside diameter of the throat of the tailstock ram. If the lathe is in fact an MT-2, then the headstock spindle probably has a 1" OD, and an 8 per inch thread pitch. You don't need to be extremely precise in the measurements since the most likely alternative would be a 3/4" OD, and a 16 per inch thread pitch.

Secondly, you need to make sure that headstock spindle and tailstock ram are both machined to receive an MT-2 fitting. Again, the most likely alternative would be an MT-1 opening. The ID of the opening for an MT-2 fitting should be 0.7 inches while an MT-1 opening would be 0.475 inches, so again the measurement doesn't have to be extremely precise.

If your lathe actually is designed to use MT-2 accessories, then the jacobs (drill) chuck you have selected should be fine. It's a 1/2" chuck rather than a 3/8" chuck; you might be able to find a less expensive 3/8" chuck, but over time you may come to appreciate the added flexibility of being able to grip a larger drill shank. It's a keyed chuck, which means that it can actually get a tighter grip on drill bits than a keyless chuck. The only downside of a keyed chuck compared with a keyless is that if you inadvertently leave the key in the chuck while drilling, and if the chuck starts to spin, it could throw the key at you (dangerous) or into the pile of shavings under the lathe (a nuisance). I personally prefer a keyed chuck.

However, I have concerns about the three-jaw minichuck you selected. First, it mounts via an MT1 taper, and if your lathe is actually MT-2, it won't fit. Also, that's a really small chuck, and I think you will quickly find that the capabilities of that chuck limit the range of things you will be able do. And frankly, that chuck doesn't have very good reviewer ratings. I suggest that you look instead at a four-jaw chuck that screws onto the headstock spindle rather than mounts using a morse taper. That will be a more hefty chuck (and it will be more expensive), but in the long run it will give you a lot more flexibility for taking on a variety of projects. The chuck you identified uses 'tommy bars' to tighten - that's a perfectly fine arrangement although there are more convenient options (on more expensive chucks).

One final point - I assume that you are making pens. In that case, there are two requirements for the hole:
1. To facilitate glueing the tube into the blank, the hole must be straight and have a fairly consistent diameter. What that means is that the drill bit must rotate about an axis that is coincident with the center of the bit. In other words, the bit must be mounted squarely in the drill chuck such that it doesn't 'wobble' as you are drilling. It's usually easier to mount a bit correctly in a jacobs chuck for a lathe because you can remove the chuck, and look at the end of the bit to make sure that it is straight in the chuck jaws. With a drill press, you have to test the drill to make sure it's not wobbling before you start drilling.
2. The hole would normally be centered on one end of the blank, but it doesn't have to be exactly centered at the other end. Instead, the only requirement is that there be enough 'meat' around the hole to allow you to turn the body without cutting into the hole. It's perfectly OK for the hole to be angled a bit in the blank as long as it comes out the other end with enough material to be able to turn the blank around the hole. Again, this is easier to do on a lathe because you can grip the blank in jaws. When drilling on a drill press, you have to worry about whether you are holding the blank in a perfectly plumb alignment with the axis of the drill press.
Gonna be honest I dont know what half the stuff u said in here is, I'm not familiar with lathe part meanings/terms.

Ddw04

Is this something that would work? I meant to post this as well if not what's something like this that WOULD work?

Mortalis

Is this something that would work? I meant to post this as well if not what's something like this that WOULD work?
What you get in that particular advertisement is the jaws only. they will work if you have a PSI 4 jaw chuck.
I have one of these that I use to drill my blanks
This is an all in one chuck that threads onto a 1" x 8tpi lathe head stock.
It's not cheap but if you need to buy a 4 jaw chuck and those jaws you'll be in that range anyways.

jttheclockman

First not sure what louie said and he is probably right and all that. But check the instruction booklet and it will tell you the headstock and tailstock tapers. No need for measurements. if you can not trust an instruction book from the lathe then sell the lathe now. Mini lathe means nothing just that it is a smaller lathe and then there is a midi lathe which is a couple inches larger before you get into full size. So do not let that scare you. Whatever your morse taper is weather a MT1 or MT2, that is what you need to buy with all add-on tools you purchase. When they say mini chucks is because they are smaller and usually will work better on the smaller lathe. Remember the motor size is smaller so throwing extra weight around hurts you. There is many ways to hold a blank to the head stock and that is the main concern. The tailstock gets the drill chuck and never buy a 3/8". Waste of money. Always buy 1/2" If you are after saving a few dollars then get out of the pen turning hobby now before you get sucked in. Buy once is a good moto. As far as PSI chucks i would stay far away from their chucks especially that dedicated pen blank chuck linked. They had more problems with those than you can shake a stick at. If you want that spend a few $$ more and get a good one from Timberbits. Scroll chucks are great because you can change jaws and get more bang for the buck. Then there is collet chucks and they are great for accuracy but you always need to work with round materials. So down sides and up sides to everything. Narrow down what it is you want to be able to do with your lathe and go from there. Do some google searches for different chuck styles and ask specific questions Harbor Freight is cheap but look at the ratings when looking for stuff. Agai spend once and be happy. Good luck.

Ddw04

First not sure what louie said and he is probably right and all that. But check the instruction booklet and it will tell you the headstock and tailstock tapers. No need for measurements. if you can not trust an instruction book from the lathe then sell the lathe now. Mini lathe means nothing just that it is a smaller lathe and then there is a midi lathe which is a couple inches larger before you get into full size. So do not let that scare you. Whatever your morse taper is weather a MT1 or MT2, that is what you need to buy with all add-on tools you purchase. When they say mini chucks is because they are smaller and usually will work better on the smaller lathe. Remember the motor size is smaller so throwing extra weight around hurts you. There is many ways to hold a blank to the head stock and that is the main concern. The tailstock gets the drill chuck and never buy a 3/8". Waste of money. Always buy 1/2" If you are after saving a few dollars then get out of the pen turning hobby now before you get sucked in. Buy once is a good moto. As far as PSI chucks i would stay far away from their chucks especially that dedicated pen blank chuck linked. They had more problems with those than you can shake a stick at. If you want that spend a few $$ more and get a good one from Timberbits. Scroll chucks are great because you can change jaws and get more bang for the buck. Then there is collet chucks and they are great for accuracy but you always need to work with round materials. So down sides and up sides to everything. Narrow down what it is you want to be able to do with your lathe and go from there. Do some google searches for different chuck styles and ask specific questions Harbor Freight is cheap but look at the ratings when looking for stuff. Agai spend once and be happy. Good luck.
It says nothing about the headstock

jttheclockman

It says nothing about the headstock
It says the tailstock is a MT2. They are not going to put two different MTs on a lathe so the headstock is the same. It ilso said about using one of the tools in both the tailstock and headstock so that too indicates both the same. I am surprised the instructions do not tell you the spindle size and thread pitch but has to be 1" and 8 threads. That tool came with a MT2 spur drive and that gets mounted in the headstock so that proves that. Here is a link of a guy explaining this lathe and he tells you what the spindle on the headstock is.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=central+machinery+lathe+#65345&view=detail&mid=BD2A067B09C046F8F779BD2A067B09C046F8F779&FORM=VIRE

I highly recommend one of these washers or else you will be coming here asking how to get your chuck or faceplate free off the spindle. https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Lock-Lathe-Spindle-Washer-1-1/dp/B0035Y7MXQ

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I believe the HF lathe came in 2 versions of the threads on the headstock. But the later versions was 1-8TPI. Take your faceplate to a hardware store and see what size bolt will screw on to it.

On a tight budget? There are several ways to solve the chuck problem, but neither are real cheap nor as reiaible as just forking over the money for a drill chuck you have listed and a 4 jaw utility chuck from PSI. Another chuck that you will eventually buy is a collet chuck, about a $100 at PSI.

Or buy the drill chuck, and make yourself a homemade collet chuck with a 2MT mount out of wood. Turn your blanks round between centers and use the homemade chuck to hold it while drilling.

monophoto

I highly recommend one of these washers or else you will be coming here asking how to get your chuck or faceplate free off the spindle. https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Lock-Lathe-Spindle-Washer-1-1/dp/B0035Y7MXQ

While I agree with John on this point, it's important to note that use of spindle washers is controversial - the issue is that if the washer isn't flat, the lack of flatness can cause 'runout', or wobble in the rotation of whatever is mounted on the spindle. Some people swear by them, others swear at them.

I make my own spindle washers from recycled plastic items found around the house. I just drill a 1" hole in the plastic, rough cut the washer around that hole, and then slip it over my lathe spindle and hold it in place with a screw-on fixing (usually, a wine stopper mandrel). Then, I use a skew to trim around the circumference. This major project takes all of two minutes to complete.

But I take the added step of measuring the thickness of the plastic at several points around the circumference to make sure that it is uniform - to avoid that runout problem. The first washer I made (from an old milk carton) wasn't flat. I made a replacement from the plastic container that originally held a TurboTax software CD that proved to be sufficiently flat - but please don't consider that to be an endorsement of TurboTax.

Willee

I bought the 4 jaw chuck from PSI that just screws on the head stock hub.
4 jaws will hold square blanks and allow you to accurately drill on the wood lathe.
I was surprised at the very low amount of run out.
I can place a 7mm hole thru a 1/2" x 1/2" square wood blank with no problem.

magpens

I know this is an old thread brought to life again. . If anyone is reading it now and depending on it for advice there is an error/typo, as I read it.

In Louie's post at the end of his first paragraph, there is this sentence:

"I say 'probably' because there are actually several options for holding the blank, with a jacobs chuck being the most popular. "

I think, where he says "jacobs chuck" in this sentence, that he meant to say "scroll chuck".

In my opinion/experience it would be highly unusual to use a jacobs chuck for the purpose of holding a blank to be drilled on a lathe.

By far the most common method is to hold the blank in a scroll chuck at the headstock end and have the drill in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock.

It would be a very large and unusual Jacobs chuck that had the capacity to hold a typical pen blank.

monophoto

In Louie's post at the end of his first paragraph, there is this sentence:

"I say 'probably' because there are actually several options for holding the blank, with a jacobs chuck being the most popular. "

I think, where he says "jacobs chuck" in this sentence, that he meant to say "scroll chuck".

In my opinion/experience it would be highly unusual to use a jacobs chuck for the purpose of holding a blank to be drilled on a lathe.

Mal - you are absolutely correct - I meant to say scroll chuck.

Top Bottom