Drilling blanks-center out-ends to center?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin M

I have been drilling my blanks from the ends toward the center as the start hole sometimes gets a little oval from removing the bit repeatedly but the center hole then ends up ok. Doing it this way though does not always get the grains matched as well as I would like. How is everyone else doing it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

I always do the opposite, from the center out. I have a very good drilling jig so I get good centered holes and I want the grain to match up. The most important thing is your drilling jig. IMHO anyway.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm with the group. Not only does it make grain alignment easier, if you have any blow out when you go through the blank, you can cut cut the outer edges without problems.

dubdrvrkev

I do the centers out also but I am lacking a drilling jig or even a drill press (next on the shopping list). I drill on the lathe with the blank in pin jaws, which as long as the blank is fairly square and straight it centers nicely.

opfoto

Center out... No jig... What a PITA. I don't mean the bread. Just eyeballing it in my old 4 in vise. Have to adjust for each pen blank. Did I mention PITA!!! [:(!]

JimGo

OpFoto, I got a self-centering vise from PSI for my birthday; makes it MUCH easier to be consistent. I too do center-out drilling.

Kevin M

I guess a better drilling jig is on the wish list! I have been drilling from the ends in and if any problems exist at the start hole I trim it off on the bandsaw since I cut them a little long. Thanks for the replies.

rduncan

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />Cut a little long and drill from the center out. I also draw a line along the grain before cutting the blank in half and when I do drill I keep the line lined up.
I learned the exact same way and haven't deviated. Working so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom