Drill Press Question-Ryobi 12"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

My little drill press is not really satisfactory for several reasons. Am thinking about getting another one for Christmas and am looking at the 12 speed Ryobi 12" bench top model. I'm wondering if anyone has one and can offer any comments?? I am particularly interested in how easy or cumbersome it is to change speeds with the 2-belt system?? Thanks.

P.S. I've seen all of the discussions on the pros and cons of bench tops vs. floor models so don't waste any time there. I will definitely be getting a bench model.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

coach

Randy, I've got one and would buy it again. Once I found my drill speed, I just leave it. No problems yet. It just keeps on a drillin'! Great drill press for the price!

johnson

I had one also. The only reason I got rid of it was I needed more depth capacity for a custom table. Changing speeds with two belts isn't that much more work than one. Once you find the right speed, there isn't much need to change unless you are drilling a different material. Too bad you aren't close to Minneapolis. There is a store here that gets all the tools that are evaluated by one of the woodworking magazines and sells them at really good deals.
Dale

alamocdc

I'm not sure which benchtop Ryobi I have, but I've had it 4 years w/ no problems of daily use. Like Travis, once I set my speed where I wanted it, I just left it. The only thing I'm not happy about is quill travel. I would prefer what you can get from other DPs.

opfoto

The one that I have is easy enough to change...maybe 5 minutes total. But as everyone else has stated. I don't do it a whole lot either!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have the Ryobi good bang for the buck.
It doesn't come in teal though.
If you get one you should post a picture of it.
Maybe with a pen on the table...
One you turned

Randy_

Originally posted by cteaglesc<br />.....It doesn't come in teal though....

Not a problem. If I get one, first thing I will do is repaint it......

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I do change speeds regularly; but not frequently, if that makes sense since I drill tiny holes(1/64") and big holes(2") in many different materials.....I've got more on my plate than just pens!! So the issue of changing speeds is a concern to me. Years ago I had a big floor model VS drill but had to get rid of it when I moved. I really miss that puppy; but present circumstances require that I find a more compact and economical alternative.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Antone who thihnks a bench top drill press is compact is very mistakedn.
When it comes to useful foot print they are very wasteful.

rtjw

I have had a ryobi DP for about a year now and love it. No problems yet. The bench top can be a bit cumbersome because your constantly needing the room where it sits.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />I have had a ryobi DP for about a year now and love it. No problems yet. The bench top can be a bit cumbersome because your constantly needing the room where it sits.

Got to agree with you there Johnny. In my first shop, I had my drill press on the bench, taking up room I needed. After I moved to PA, I bought a stand for my ancient Craftsman drill press. When I upgraded to a floor model, it actually took up less space than the bench top. Before anyone comments, I know Randy is planning for a bench top, just commenting on Johnny's remarks.

Rifleman1776

My Grizzly drill press is a bench model. Misteak. Wish I had gone with floor model, actually takes up less space and is much more versitile. And, at the time, floor model only cost about $20.00 more than the bench. Opinions seem to be all over the place on Ryobi tools. The only Ryobi tool I have is leaf blower, good tool. A friend has a 20+ year old 12" planer that has been used hard. Still running strong and is on original, not yet sharpened, blades. That's a pretty good endorsement.

Randy_

Having had both types at one time or another, I agree with the thought that for "most" people, a floor model is a better solution. In my case, however, I learned from past mistakes and set up my current shop with "PLENTY" of bench space......really more than I probably need for most projects. So I don't suffer for lack of bench space......my problem is lack of floor space!!![:D]

Sonny

I'm in the Minneapolis area. What store are you speaking of?

Originally posted by johnson
<br />I had one also. The only reason I got rid of it was I needed more depth capacity for a custom table. Changing speeds with two belts isn't that much more work than one. Once you find the right speed, there isn't much need to change unless you are drilling a different material. Too bad you aren't close to Minneapolis. There is a store here that gets all the tools that are evaluated by one of the woodworking magazines and sells them at really good deals.
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom