Drill Press Keyless Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

My drill press has a keyless chuck. It seems to work just fine - no problem with bits working loose.

Drill chucks usually attach to the DP spindle by means of a taper. You can usually loosen the chuck by tapping gently with a block of wood.

Ross

The keyless chuck on my cordless drill has loosened several times. I would be nervous about using one on a drill press.

WriteON

I never trust anything I cannot over tighten.

I would not use them on my drill press. Just me though.

Good advice. There is no substitute for proper tension. The Chuck/Key are designed for a reason. The chuck shown is for use on a small Baldor or Red Wing type dental lathes. Made for short shaft 1/4" rotary files. That would be extremely dangerous on a drill press...especially with a long drill bit.

Last edited:

flyitfast

I use a keyless chuck mostly in my tailstock for drilling.
The one you show is bigger than mine - I have a 1/2" vs 5/8". Also, I use an MT2 taper vs the MT3 that is shown in your example.
Mine works fine, is quick for changes and holds whatever I put in it tightly.
Gordon

Rockytime

I have a couple of Albrecht keyless chucks. I don't use them on my wood or metal lathe, my mill or drill press. I keep them because they were expensive and they look cool. I only trust keyed chucks.

Rockytime

I have a couple of Albrecht keyless chucks. I don't use them on my wood or metal lathe, my mill or drill press. I keep them because they were expensive and they look cool. I only trust keyed chucks.

Um, why did you buy them if you won't use them?

Years ago when I was just getting into machining I had a good friend working for MSC. I got them at a good discount. After trying them I quickly switched back to ball bearing Jacobs keyed chucks. I found that when hogging material in the drill press drill bits would sometimes slip in the chuck. They are nice chucks but the keyed chucks are so much more reliable.

WriteON

Um, why did you buy them if you won't use them?

Sometimes I (we) buy things because they appear to be good in concept and theory but don't work out to standard when used under certain conditions. I have a 3/8 drill with a keyless chuck. I do not like.

Top Bottom