Drill Doctor 750X - Is it good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lalyela

I was looking to get one of these. Looks like they are about $135.

I've been doing a little searching and it looks like the reports are highly variable. From "POS" to "They're great".

Is there a better way to go for something in the price range? I'll spend a little more if it makes for sense. I don't have any idea how to sharpen a bit by hand. For my entire life (I'm 54), I've been throwing away drill bits when they get dull.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have an older 750 and really like it, and I have had mine about 13 or 14 years. You are the one who would really benefit from having one.

I grew up on a farm and even before I was a teen, my dad had me fixing, making and repairing mechanical things including sharpening drill bits. I know how and what to look for in sharpening however, unless doing it consistently and regularly, it is not a good repetitive art and ones skill at sharpening on a grinder can decline. And I understand those that will give the DD a negative report. It comes from two sides - those who can sharpen skillfully on a grinder and those who do not know how to follow or will not follow directions.

I have some great and expensive bits and I don't like replacing them, especially my pen drilling bits. The 750 does split point also, which is very helpful in many situations where "skating" would take place. Split points, Sharp bits, the 750 will do it.

duncsuss

I've got a 750X and agree with Hank - if you are able and willing to follow the instructions, you will get sharp drill bits. I find they are usually sharper than when the bits were brand new.

randyrls

Yes; but YOU MUST follow the directions It helps to practice on an old bit. The Drill Doctor does NOT do brad point bits. It helps to have a drill sharpening gauge like this one.
Drill Sharpening Gauge

You use this to measure the web and flute edge length. Both flutes must be identical lengths to drill a straight, true size hole.

While I personally own a different model of the Drill Doctor, they are excellent. Prior to retirement I used one of their parent companies commercial drill sharpeners at my place of employment for a period of many years. When I purchased my Drill Doctor I was pleasantly surprised as to how similar but on a smaller scale it was.
There is a slight learning curve. I agree with Duncan up above, sharper than new.

Sylvanite

For small bits (3/16" and below), I just replace them, but I use my Drill Doctor 750 to sharpen the rest. It works well once I realized that I had to use both the 118 and 135 settings when splitting points. I also have some cobalt bits that I ground a lot of metal off before discovering that they had a different twist rate than standard jobber bits. Once I compensated for that, I could get them to cut again.

I hope that helps,
Eric

ebill

For small bits (3/16" and below), I just replace them,

- I have an old Drill Doctor XPK. Like Eric, the small ones I just replace, the rest get occasional touch ups with the XPK. Satisfactory results everytime but as mentioned, you have to follow the instructions.

- ebill

howsitwork

I imported one because although you can buy new bits the one you need always breaks or goes blunt on a holiday weekend ! It takes a bit of practice but the results are good and consistent.

So not an essential tool but" a nice to have " for me anyway.

TonyL

I own one and loved it until i learned how to sharpen by hand. I can't emphasize Duncan's statement enough. One must follow the process to get it right. I still own it.

Mikeyt

I just got a drill doctor and wish i I got it sooner. Sharpens my bits great. Even better then new ones. I was not sure if it was worth the money before I purchased it but it was. The instructions are very easy to follow. The bits come out sharp I was buying new bits especially the Letter I bit for what I do because they would get dull quickly. I drill a lot of metal and aluminum. Seemed each time I needed to do a batch of drilling my bit would be dull and have to order online and wait. But with the drill doctor I can sharpen the bit in Less the 5 minutes. Even compared a new bit to a sharpened bit and the sharpened bit seemed to do much better.

You won't go wrong with a drill doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom