Drill Bit Sharpner Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

Being reminded from another post, this is something that I do not have in my shop as of yet. I don't mind spending good money if the product is great. Please let me know which ones on the market you prefer. Thanks again for helping me spend my money.;)

I've seen them at Lowes and Sears and other store alike, just need to know which one is the best. Thanks again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Johnathan, any of the DrillDoctors are good, but the 750 (on Amazon now for ~$80) comes with attachment for bits over 1/2". It's an additional attachment for the 500.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If it were not for the DD, I would still be using a bench grinder and a good guide. Go to Amazon and look up the DD and subsequent reviews. Good reports all around. In woodworking circles, I personally do not hear this kind of consistent results for any other stand alone sharpener.

woodwish

Wish I had read this a year or so ago. Bought another brand and what a piece of crap! A good friend has the DD 750 and it seems to be worth the time and money to get one instead of the cheaper store brands.

thetalbott4

I got the 750 on sale from Amazon, and let me tell you...there isnt a dull drill bit within 5 miles of my garage. I took unused HF drill bits and drilled with them. They cut good. Then put them in the drill doctor and MAN what a difference. They cut like lasers! Definately one of the best tools in my shop.

Pipes

I just got the Drill Dr 750 there closing out on amazon and after all rebates and dicount codes I got it for 65 bucks shipped !!One a the best tool buys I ever got IMHO and it is a fantastic product works great !! and an american company that a actually speak to you on the ph !!![:D]

Pipes

the 750PK if its still on sale at 89 bucks with a 15 buck mail in rebate even 89 bucks is a great price IMO !!! [:D] O and there was a 10% off coupon floating arounf I used also its in the older thread a couple a weeks back about this same subject !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Randy_

For most people, the 500 is all they need. Only difference between it and the 750 is the size bit it will handle. 500 up to 1/2". 750 up to 3/4". Most twist drill sets that find their way into home shops only go up to 1/2" so the 500 is just fine.

There are several large pen kits that require twist drills larger than 1/2". If you are going to get involved with those kits then the extra money for the 750 would be justified. If you have or can get a good deal on a 500, DD will sell you a chuck that will allow 3/4" bits to be sharpened in the 500. On the other hand, $89 for the 750 is an absolute steal!! I paid about that for my little 350 several years ago and it won't do nearly as much as the 500 and the 750.

Pipes

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />For most people, the 500 is all they need. Only difference between it and the 750 is the size bit it will handle. 500 up to 1/2". 750 up to 3/4". Most twist drill sets that find their way into home shops only go up to 1/2" so the 500 is just fine.

There are several large pen kits that require twist drills larger than 1/2". If you are going to get involved with those kits then the extra money for the 750 would be justified. If you have or can get a good deal on a 500, DD will sell you a chuck that will allow 3/4" bits to be sharpened in the 500. On the other hand, $89 for the 750 is an absolute steal!! I paid about that for my little 350 several years ago and it won't do nearly as much as the 500 and the 750.

I agree it's a steal and with discount codes and the 15 buck rebate I stole my 750 for $65.00 including shipping [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom