Drill bit sharpener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denton

Have any of you purchased one of those drill bit sharpeners (www.drilldoctor.com)?
I'm wondering if they really work as advertised. Is the drill bit sharpener going to work on brad point bits? How about carbide tipped?
Or am I just better off to just buy a new bit when the current bit dulls?

On that note...what's an average number of blanks you drill before using a new drill bit??

Your input is appreciated.

Denton
Paris,TN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
They do not do brad points; I have a 750 and it has saved me as much as it cost already.

Someone posted one for sale here about a month ago because he said he did not have the patience it took to sharpen with it. So it is a matter of preference. I pull mine out, set it up, sharpen 1 or 2 or 3 bits as needed and put it back in the case and on the shelf - all in 10 minutes time or less. Maybe a little more time if I am sharpening 5 or 6 or more. This takes less time than it does for me to go to the local home center 2 miles away.

Just about everyone who has one on the woodworking forum that I frequent - they wouldn't part with theirs.

Dario

I have the DD 750...haven't used it yet [:I]

BUT I read a lot of reviews before buying mine and almost all I've read are positives (except for a couple probably out of hundred or so).

its_virgil

Dario,
You'll love it...you'll really like the split point sharpening and how well it cuts...and, as Billy mentioned, all of the brad point bits I've purchased are now reground using the Drill Doc with split points and they are better than there were in their previous life. Watch the video, read the manual and you're "good to go".
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Dario
<br />I have the DD 750...haven't used it yet [:I]

BUT I read a lot of reviews before buying mine and almost all I've read are positives (except for a couple probably out of hundred or so).

Paul in OKC

One of those would be mine. Got one for the shop some time ago and it is about the most worthless thing I have ever tried to use. Even called the tech support (very pleasant folks to deal with) and got the current design of chucks to no avail.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />

One of those would be mine. Got one for the shop some time ago and it is about the most worthless thing I have ever tried to use. Even called the tech support (very pleasant folks to deal with) and got the current design of chucks to no avail.

That would be a very unusual experience. Could you relate specifics as to why you found it unsatisfactory? As said, I'm nuts about mine.

Paul in OKC

[/quote]
That would be a very unusual experience. Could you relate specifics as to why you found it unsatisfactory? As said, I'm nuts about mine.
[/quote]
Hard to be specific in print. The flutes with the old chucks would be slightly twisted near the point, and slightly rolled over to a negative edge. The new chuck at first made a concave flute. Then got a new 'cam' that the chuck rides on, it helped, but still not very impressive. When you cut steel, it should be smooth with consistant 'string' of a chip from both flutes. These would start and then just be like cutting tough steak with a butter knife at best. Even in harder metals it should still cut smooth without having to 'drive' the bit in. Apparently by the words of others, mine is a rare experience. I'll stick to sharpening by hand for the time being. I hae plans to design a simple sharpener, but at the current rate of projects it will be next year[:D]

cozee

I am a metal fabricator by trade and have sharpened my bits by hand for many, many years on a bench grider with a medium and fine stones/wheels. I have tried a couple of sharpeners (cheap units) in the past but wasn't satisfied with the results. I can definitely sharpen them faster by hand. BUT, lately I have been considering a Drill Doctor, mainly because I can get a real good deal on one that has been riding around on the tool truck for over a year now.[:D]

Pipes

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />

I bet as good as there CS is IMHO you ask and they will replace your free a charge ! Because they really do work great I just love mine ! Use it often !!!
[:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Pipes

Originally posted by Denton
<br />Have any of you purchased one of those drill bit sharpeners (www.drilldoctor.com)?
I'm wondering if they really work as advertised. Is the drill bit sharpener going to work on brad point bits? How about carbide tipped?
Or am I just better off to just buy a new bit when the current bit dulls?

On that note...what's an average number of blanks you drill before using a new drill bit??

That would really depend on the type of wood or material I zm drilling I just wait until I can tell its needs it and sharpen it !!!
Your input is appreciated.

http://affordablepipes.com/

I bought mine because I was putting a heavy duty hitch and camper hold downs on my F350 diesel dually.

I could drill about a hole and a half from a bit (going slow and using lube) until I needed to sharpen.

Without the Drill Doctor, I can't even imagine how many bits I would have had to buy...

Chalk me up as one of the true believers in the DD.

I've turned several brad points into split points and won't go back.

Sincerely,

Brent

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />I was wondering by using the drill doctor, does it eventually decrease the diameter of the drill?

No. It does not sharpen it on the outside edges, Only on the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom