Drill Bit gauges for size checking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know most people have calipers, but it is nice to have redundancy in some tools - below I am listing 4 different metal drill bit gauges that might be helpful to some. The prices are not that high, so it may be a good tool to have in your drill bit box.

I started looking at these because I needed a dowel sizer. Dowel sizers run $50 and up, and I rarely use more than a portion of a dowel in a years time at best, because most dowels are not always true to size. A couple of the gauges above are 1/8" steel and should be good for short lengths of dowel sizing. While looking at them, it came to me that these would be beneficial to pen turners.

WE always are looking for more tools, aren't we? šŸ˜

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

These are definitely handy to have in the shop.

About 15 years ago, one of the woodworking magazines had a subscription promotion that involved sending mailings that included a plastic drill bit gauge that covered the more typical 1/64 - 1/2" range. The idea was to give away something as a come-on to attract subscriptions. I didn't subscribe, but for some reason I received several of these mailings and over the course of a year or so, I acquired four or five of these. They are plastic, and can be damaged if you try to force an oversized bit through a too-small hole, but if used carefully, they do the job. One resides on the workbench next to the drill press, one is in the case that holds my rechargeable electric drill, and several others are on a peg on the tool board as backups.

jttheclockman

These are definitely handy to have in the shop.

About 15 years ago, one of the woodworking magazines had a subscription promotion that involved sending mailings that included a plastic drill bit gauge that covered the more typical 1/64 - 1/2" range. The idea was to give away something as a come-on to attract subscriptions. I didn't subscribe, but for some reason I received several of these mailings and over the course of a year or so, I acquired four or five of these. They are plastic, and can be damaged if you try to force an oversized bit through a too-small hole, but if used carefully, they do the job. One resides on the workbench next to the drill press, one is in the case that holds my rechargeable electric drill, and several others are on a peg on the tool board as backups.
Yep that is where I got alot of mine from too. Must have about 10 or so and probably threw many out over the years. Just like vendors give candy in orders, many times woodworking vendors gave those away as gifts.

studioseven

Years ago, there was some type of woodworking club that was always sending me mailings to join their club. I never did but they always sent a gift to entice me to join. It was the same drill bit guide that your links go to. I have several of them and they are very handy. I use them not only on drill bits but measuring bolts also.

Seven

Top Bottom