Doug Thompson benefit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

This message was posted to the forum on WoodCentral. It's a good cause, and I thought I would share it here:

Subject:
It's time to pull together to help one of our own.
Posted By:
Doug Thompson
Date:
3/18/2015, 1:12 am

It's time to pull together to help one of our own.
I give and give and give but rarely ask for help but I'm asking now. A good friend of mine Jorge Castaneda recently lost his shop when snow collapsed the roof. He turns for a living and can't afford to rebuild the shop that he needs so badly. I saw a post on FB that hurt me bad and I'm going to do something about... here's what's going to happen.
From this Friday night at midnight March 20th to Sunday night at midnight March 22 the benefit will happen.
Purchase tools off my web site Thompson Lathe Tools THEN Post your name and the total amount including shipping purchased on a separate thread to be created Friday night for Jorge here... 100% of the money will be donated to Jorge.
I absorb the manufacturing costs, shipping because your shipping cost will go to Jorge, the taxes on that money... everything.
Post this all over the internet but let Jorge and I know where it was posted and remember to start a new thread Friday night to keep track of the totals.
I always tell people not to buy a lot of tools but this weekend you need a extra tool or two or three. If you purchase a handle it will have your name plus a extra "JC Benefit" so you can remember that you helped.
I don't do this for a living and I'm big on helping others, the homeless, food banks, kids with cancer and their families. Pay it ahead are the best words we can live by... Give because it makes you feel good to help out another person. It's time to help... if we do $1,000 I'm going to feel like a fool for wasting my time, $5,000 I'll have a smile but the goal is $10,000 REMEMBER 100% of the purchase will go directly to Jorge. I'm not playing the game to give a percentage off so I can make money and gets a little bit... It's 100%... all the money... remember that when you buy.
Here's Jorge's story if you don't know him;
I am Jorge Castañeda, a builder and woodworker in general, located in rural Maine. I love trees and wood and have been a pro wood worker for the last half-century: ships, boats, houses, furniture and of late a bowl turner…
I started JC Turnings in 2006, and from day one people liked my bowls and started buying them.
Then in 2008 a stroke pretty much ended my commercial building days. I started putting all my time into turning, which was immediately rewarding, and all of a sudden, the bowl business took off and now has a life of its own.
I sell my bowls and platters at Farmer's Markets and festivals around Maine and sales are steadily growing, to the point that last year I had trouble keeping pace with the demand.
A shed to store building materials was also my makeshift workshop. Alas, that shed came to a sudden end with the last snowstorm, when the weight of the snow crushed it beyond repair. Somehow it must be replaced, as my income from the bowls I sell supplements my small pension, and I need a proper space to keep turning.
A smaller shop would be ideal, so it is easier to build and easier to heat in the winter. With a winterized shop, I could produce bowls all year-round, and have a small space to use as a storefront.
That's why I decided to ask you to help me rebuild my shop, and be part of helping my small business grow. I like to do things to help others and my community, and hope to be able to give back to other people's projects in the future, as I have done in the past. I would be extremely grateful for any aid. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I heard about this yesterday morning and it is being passed around to the turning clubs. It is also on Facebook. I hope we can all chip in to help this fellow woodturner.
Doug is a very generous guy. We had the pleasure to have him at our club last month for a sharpening/ tool demo.

Last edited:

magpens

If an item is SOLD OUT, can we still order it and pay and have it backordered ?

low_48

That thing is turning into a mess. People were placing orders early Friday morning and thinking they are part of the benefit. As always, no good deed goes unpunished!

magpens

If an item is SOLD OUT, can we still order it and pay and have it backordered ?

That thing is turning into a mess. People were placing orders early Friday morning and thinking they are part of the benefit. As always, no good deed goes unpunished!

I guess not and, thinking about it, I can see why not . .. Hey ! I learned to use the multi-quote feature !

Last edited:

darrin1200

I have been following this in a couple of places.

Doug started out wanting to help an artist he knew, and it has gone somewhat viral.
Here is a face book link to the rules. https://www.facebook.com/doug.thompson.5249/posts/976703415681362

Here is an AAW link MEMBER NEWS: Doug Thompson organizes benefit to help woodturner, Jorge Castaneda, who lost shop - American Association of Woodturners

Here is a link to Dougs site. Thompson Lathe Tools

Any orders placed after midnight friday will count. He started by hoping for a couple of thousand, and dreaming of $10K. With all the interest he was hearing, he finally had to decide on a cap before it starts. He decided $20,000, as this is all he can reasonably afford.

Keep in mind, this is not a percentage of sales, he is donating 100% of the sale including all shipping costs, taxes etc. Whatever you pay, will be sent to Jorge.

He says in another face book post, that when the goal is reached, he will tempoarily close down the site. I saw a post at around 8am this morning that said they were around half way. I think Doug was a little overwhelmed by the amazing response. This is an incredible gesture for a fellow artist.

Darrin

I just placed my order with Doug Thompson for Jorge. Less than $1800 to go to hit the $20,000 goal. Charlie will be thrilled with his new handle too. A win win for everyone.

Charlie_W

Wifey just checked Doug's Facebook and he had stated that the 20,000dollar goal has been reached! ........in less than 12 hours!

Thank You Doug!

keithbyrd

I just saw this - I wish I had seen it earlier - I dont know Jorge but I have delt with Doug in the past and this is the kind of guy he is - thnks Doug for being so generous and showing us how its done.

Now I am going out to buy somehing from Doug - getting the business now witll help him rebuild his investment!

Last edited:
Top Bottom