Don't be shocked...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MDWine

MDWine

I don't post much work, I just haven't turned much for a while.
I want to get back to turning, pens as well as other work.
The CAW (turning club) had a challenge lately to turn an egg.
I didn't enter mine, I just lost track of the deadline, but... I DID TURN an egg!
(yep, a huge accomplishment for me!)
I was happy that I did not have a single catch during the turning, and I was able to control the tool and do what I wanted. Yes, there was a bit of trial and tentativeness, but I got'r'done, and here is the result.
The spectraply does not sand particularly well, and there are what appear to be frays in the closeup. I assure you that the sanding is smooth, and the finish is just a paste wax.
I'm happy, and plan to turn another with blue ply, and also one in honey locust... I hope to do both this weekend.
pink-egg.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Looks like an egg to me Michael!! Good job. Crank out some more!

I didn't even get a chance to turn my lathe on much less, turn an egg for the contest.

Henrietta the hen in Foghorn Leghorn's chick yard would be proud of your egg.... near perfect shape.

I do a lot of spectraply and find that it does sand well... I usually sand at the same speed as I turn, like pants on fire and hair blowing in the wind....most of mine get finished with polyurethane, so it's pretty smooth finish.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job & near perfect shape. I've only made multicolor spectraply eggs - I'll have to try some solid colors.

MDWine

Sorry for my long absence, working from home and shifting priorities... when I am done with my "work day" at home, I'm not inclined to spend more time in this chair looking at another monitor. I gotta get away.

Thanks for the comments... I appreciate them tremendously.

I did the blue egg, it is smaller, and I used sealer while sanding, then Bealle system to buff it up. I'll get a pic this evening.

Top Bottom