Dogwood slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Some might wonder why I am posting this pen picture. The slimline below is not any more special than many made by myself and others. Pretty ordinary, in fact. However, when I finished it just a few minutes ago, it pleased me. To me, it is a good pen. Not overly fancy but will done (can I brag?) hand crafting. And I like the wood. Again, not fancy, just a pretty wood. This is Ozark Dogwood, cut not far from my home. The finish is not glossy, just plain to accentuate the natural beauty of the wood. A comfortable pen that looks good. Now I hope someone likes it well enough to purchase it. For those who are not familiar with the legend of the Dogwood, check out
http://my.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/holiday/dogwood.html
This is of particular interest to Christians.

200548163136_Dogwood%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Frank, nothing wrong with that pen at all. In fact, I like it a lot and for the same reasons. I think people (we)that work with wood really appreciate it for what it is and not what it can be made to look like. The real beauty comes from the wood it self, but most buyers are looking for that eye candy, to bad, hey? [:)]

Fred in NC

Frank, "frankly" I have sold a lot of pens that look like the one you just posted, mostly in maple, cherry, and walnut. Around here a lot of people want that, known woods.

Dogwood is abundant around here, but I have not been able to get a supply. There is one growing on the other side of the fence from my house, in full bloom right now. I would like to include dogwood in my inventory, preferably local dogwood.

Thanks for posting the link.

lkorn

[quote "To me, it is a good pen."

Isn't this all that really matters? This is the confidence in a product that WILL SELL pens, 'eye candy' or not.
I've got a stash of Dogwood, Cedar, Redbud, Bradford Pear and Crape Myrtle just waiting to be cut and turned. All wood taken from friends and neighbors during pruning season.

Tom McMillan

Real nice looking pen Frank---and you should be proud of it---it really is special----each one we make is!!! Also, thanks for the link---I found that to be very special!!

tipusnr

Nice looking pen. I'm using a chunk of Dogwood for a chopping block in the garage as seasoned Dogwood is EXTREMELY hard. May have to take a piece off and see what kind of pen it makes!

Fred in NC

Tip, a useful tip from Fred:

". May have to take a piece off a see what kind of pen it makes!"

It took me a while to find the answer. Here it is:

A pen made from dogwood will be a dogwood pen. That simple !!!!
What else ???

dougle40

Great looking pen Frank . I like working with Dogwood but most of what I have is a little on the pinkish side . The pic is of one that my wife wanted turned .

200549163646_Dogwood%20-1%20sm.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Very pretty. There is a pink dogwood, I wonder if the actuall woods are different or just a local thing.

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Great looking pen Frank . I like working with Dogwood but most of what I have is a little on the pinkish side . The pic is of one that my wife wanted turned .

200549163646_Dogwood%20-1%20sm.jpg
<br />

I too like natural woods when it comes to pens...I turned a cherry pen last week and Connie says"That's not cherry". I told her it was but her argument was it didn't look like the 'cherry" furniture she's used to at the Antique mall where she works..lol. She went on to tell me that this pen wouldn't sell because folks expect cherry to be cherry colored..I can't repeat my reply about those people here....lol. Takes all kinds I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom