Does anyone Skype here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikewood

I was just wondering if anyone uses SKYPE here. It is a free phone program that is all the rage in Europe and we use it at work to make a great deal of our overseas and long distance calls. All call are free Skype to Skype. You only need a fast (faster than dial up...although dial does work just not as well) internet connection, mic and speakers (or headphones).

Download the program from www.skype.com and use it to call anyone in the world with Skype for free. The connection sounds better than a regular phone.

I am not promoting this for any personal interest, just it would be really neat to just call other members of the group at any time for free (I am really into free things). My user name is "william jacob" (Idaho) at home and "bill jacob" (Idaho) at work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Looks interesting. But their site does say "low cost", "save 56%", "low per minute rate". They want you to open an account, does that mean givin out credit info for something 'free'? I'll check it out more but am skeptical. Why free?

JimGo

I haven't played with Skype yet, but I know a lot of the telecomm companies are concerned about them and Vonage. There's a lot of pressure on Congress to change the way telecomm is regulated because of these companies and the potential competition with the LEC's.

ilikewood

The only cost is if you want to dial out to a regular phone using Skype. Computer to computer is absolutely free.

The reason they are afraid is the loss of business. As I look right now at my computer, there are over 5,200,000 people currently on-line....that is not subscribed, but actual people who are at their computers.

Just another note...there is no need to put your credit card number in, unless you are planning to dial out to regular numbers. They are actually quite good on their privacy. We have been using it for several months and it is fantastic. My brother-in-law works for an international business in England...the only thing they use is Skype.

gerryr

There is more to it than just loss of business. The phone companies spent millions developing the original 911 service and later the enchanced 911 service. 911 absolutely does not work with this type of service, just try calling 911 using Vonage or any of the others. I used to work for US West and do not have any great love for them or any of the others, but I would not trade 911 service for any amount of free telephone service. I hope I never need it, but if I do, I want it to work as designed.

ilikewood

Woa there! [:0] I didn't suggest replacing your regular land/cell line, only as a long distance service that is free.

No need to give up on your other lines, you just don't need to pay them extra for long distance when it is free to use something else. I have no clue how Vonage works, but Skpe is mainly just computer to computer.

esheffield

Actually at least as far as Vonage is concerned, 911/E911 does work with them in most areas according to their web site. http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911 I believe the FCC passed a ruling not long ago requiring voice-over-IP (VOIP) companies to comply with 911 services. With Vonage, you register your location with them and that info is forwarded to your emergency center if it's E911. If it's standard 911 you'll have to provide the info to the dispatcher yourself. You still would have to worry about not have any service if your broadband service went down.

Been considering dropping my landline for Vonage, but haven't mainly because they don't have any numbers in my normal area code. Then again, the VAST majority of my calls (incoming and outgoing) are long distance anyway, so probably wouldn't matter.

JimGo

Bill, I agree with you. The thing that has made me keep my land line phone is an experience I had a few years ago when the remanants of a hurricane (can't remember which one). The power went out, but the phone stayed on. I felt comforted to know that I could always call 911 if I had to. If the power is out, my PC won't work, and I can't call 911 if I'm using Skype or Vonage.

gerryr

I get free long distance with my cell phone. The minutes count, but there's no additional charge for it being long distance.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Interesting topic, particularly since I am directly involved in Next Generation 9-1-1. Here are a few facts.

First, NO ONE offering VoIP guarantees 911 or E911 service. In fact, they are all disclaiming any guarantee of service. The reason the local phone companies don't use a disclaimer is because Congress has exempted them from liability if they have a 911 failure. Keep either a cell phone or a landline for emergencies...at the very least. And make sure your cellular carrier has 911 service ALI (automatic location identifier).

Next, the Department of Transportation has the authorization to look into Next Generation 9-1-1. They have solicited comments and requested information from major businesses on how to develop a nationwide architecture. A request for proposal hasn't even been issued. After an architecture is developed, the network will still have to be built out. In my lifetime? Only maybe.

As for Skype, Vonage and the other VoIP players, the reason the local carriers are so bent out of shape is that it is THEIR infrastructure which is used to complete these calls. There is no system in place to recover for calls that complete through their network, so they stand to lose at the gain of the VoIP company.

Neither Skype nor Vonage are making any money yet. Will they be survivors or will they become the next dot-bombs. It's hard to guess.

This technology is great to try and can save you a few bucks, just <b>be careful not to do so at risk to your health or safety</b>. Be informed. If you want more info, try searching "E911" or "Next Gen 911". You'll have more reading than you can imagine. Also, Vonage just filed for an IPO (initial public offering of stock). Their filings go on for several pages about the subject.

ldimick

An additional issue that may not have been raised:

Some of these VOIP services are actually peer to peer. So as long as you are connected to their network, even if you're not making a call, you are sharing your bandwidth. This means that anything else you do will suffer degraded service. Also, it *WILL* be subject to hacking at some point.

With long distance being available for less than .05 per minute I will not be changing or adding this any time soon.

Lou is right about the 911 stuff. I know that is a HUGE concern everytime we roll out VOIP to one of our offices.

ilikewood

Hey guess what? I talked to people in England and Germany for several hours last week for free during business hours using Skype...try that on your cell phones.[;)] [:D]

I also have 9-1-1 service on my cell phone (I opted for this instead of a land line). Hmmm...best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom