Does anyone here make hairpins?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

I've made a couple. You need a pin chuck, I use a 25mm on my SuperNova2. After rounding your stock, use a skew lightly to finish the shape. Bring the skew down the point, slowly thinning the stock there, then use the skew to part it off. The other side I clean up on the BS, then put it in the pin chuck to sand it. It's not all that hard, after you do it a couple of times. It's definitely easier than doing knitting needles, which I've done a few sets of as well...

chitswood

Heres the info I'm after:

I noticed some hairpins a friend sent to Dad were designed like a screw, I don't think they were carved. Its a really sharp and consistent turn to make them that way by just tilting the headstock, so I don't think thats how it was done.

My sister who had been in woodworking 3 years said they use special tools for this, I thought someone would know.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />Heres the info I'm after:

I noticed some hairpins a friend sent to Dad were designed like a screw, I don't think they were carved. Its a really sharp and consistent turn to make them that way by just tilting the headstock, so I don't think thats how it was done.

My sister who had been in woodworking 3 years said they use special tools for this, I thought someone would know.
They may have been made with a legacy milling machine, or something similiar.

Doghouse

Dave, don't forget that when working the point on the end it is easiest if you make or use a steady rest. THe easiest is a square of plywood mounted on the lathe bed. Then put screws around the hole drilled at the head stock level. Use dental floss to loop a spiderweb around the hairpick/knitting needle.

I have done a couple of knitting needles and a pair of chopsticks. Only to learn that my patience is too small and hands too large for doing that kind of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom