Does Anybody Make Pinch Bowls ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

Just wondering if anybody makes "Pinch Bowls" . . . . as in a "pinch" of this and a "pinch" of that.

Take a look at this video by Arbortech ......

Highly interesting . . . . . !!!!! . . I am tempted to try it . . . but I'd need a better way to deal with dust than I presently have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Like most people of 'a certain age', there are a few pills that I have to take each morning. I have a small 'pill bowl' that I turned from a scrap of oak flooring - it's about 1 1/2" in diameter, and probably only 1/2" deep, and finished using a commercial beeswax and oil finish. I use it to collect the pills from their respective bottles so that I can take all of them at once with a single swallow of orange juice. Fun little project - takes only a few minutes., and makes a nice gift for other older folks.

The bowl lives on a small wooden tray that I turned from a scrap of dimension lumber leftover from a furniture project. The tray also holds the bottles that contain my pills - each is a commercial glass or plastic pill bottle that I have dressed up with turned wooden caps. Looks far better in the kitchen than blah pharmacy bottles.

While the 'freeform' design of the Arbortech bowls look neat, turning is much faster.

IMG_0659.jpg

magpens

@monophoto, Thanks for your reply !!

You have done a fine job of turning those items !!!

I especially like the bottle lids that you show !!!

woodchick

I've made some using the lathe, the freeform ones are interesting. Seems like you could also use a router for much of that (I love my arbortech mini, though). Boy, don't you just hate that right at the final reveal of a project on YouTube, they slap a big fat thumbnail link covering up the final product of what you just devoted time to watch?

dogcatcher

I used modified spade bits to drill out tiny bowls. First ones were for doll houses, but a friend saw them and got me in the little spice bowls. If memory serves me correctly the spice bowls were were drilled between1 and 2 inch bits in diameter and drilled about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. Then jam chucked on the lathe and turned. The friend had a kitchen shop that offered cooking classes, I had a captive audience.

I make little pinch bowls, about 2" dia by about 1" deep... out of stock right now and have been for a few months...
I also make what i call salt cellars, little bowls about 3" diameter that I use the bottoms of wine glasses for lids... they sell well.
39-2063_0.JPG
39-2063_1.JPG

The glass lids aren't my idea.... I "borrowed" it from another turner on IAP I think.

magpens

"I make little pinch bowls, about 2" dia by about 1" deep... out of stock right now and have been for a few months...
I also make what i call salt cellars, little bowls about 3" diameter that I use the bottoms of wine glasses for lids... they sell well."

FANTASTIC !! . . . thanks for showing !!!

TDahl

That is pretty cool idea. Just in time for the holidays. More time in the shop, less time in the mall.

penicillin

My parents had salt and pepper cellars that lived in the china cabinet with the fine china. They were tiny bowls to hold and serve salt and pepper at fancy family holiday meals, like Thanksgiving. The bowls came with tiny wood "spoons" for serving the salt and pepper from the bowls. The spoons were like tiny paddles with a 90 degree bend at the paddle end. If memory serves me, the micro-spoons looked like they were made from bamboo.

Top Bottom