Do wood pen boxes scratch pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bugwriter

bugwriter

I see a lot of nice wooden pen boxes that are made entirely out of wood. The interior is not lined with felt or foam. Example: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBOXR2.html

Will an unlined pen box eventually scuff up a pen? I assume that the wood finish is softer than CA finish or acrylic, but it just seems like a bad idea to put a nice highly polished pen in an unlined box. On the other hand, there are so many pen boxes like this on the market, that I wonder if maybe it is okay.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

No one has ever said the box caused damage to one of my pens but I suspect most come out of the box and are not put back into the box.

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you aboard. The answer to your question is it could. Depends does the owner take the pen in and out many times and how do they do it. Slide it out or do they pick it up. The way around this is to flock the pen opening. There are inexpensive kits out there and it is very easy to do. It would add a nice touch to the box also. Many colors to choose from. Many people do this with bandsawn or scrollsawn box drawers. Check it out and maybe of interest to you.

jttheclockman

jttheclockman - I've never heard of flocking anything but a Christmas tree. That's a great idea. Thanks.

Here is a past post that has some examples and also a place where most people buy their flocking stuff. As mentioned in there by Curtis is is important to seal the wood or else the flocking paste or paint will be absorbed different rates and may cause blotching. It does work well and is very easy to do.

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/anyone-try-flocking-cases-105004/index2.html

Top Bottom