Do kitless pens use springs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

For those of you who make kitless pens: I am assuming that you would put a spring in these pens like in most rollerballs. Is this correct? If so, where do you get the springs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

yes they do. just go to ace hardware and you can find drawers with springs in them. I forget the size I usually buy, probably something like 3/16 and usually a good inch or more long. The length is nice...you don't have to be too precise on your inside length, you can trim the spring to fit. I like to cut a thin tiny round piece of wood or plastic and glue it to the end of the spring, because sometimes the spring ID and the refill OD can be so close that the spring can get stuck on the end of the refill.

spnemo

Thanks Jeff. That really helps me understand the process a little better. I am currently learning closed end pens so that I can eventually move to kitless pens. Any tips you can throw my way are really appreciated - I'm a big fan of your work!
A fellow Michigan turner,
Sean

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sean,

The spring serves a purpose!! Writing with a rollerball requires a spring to keep the refill against the paper, evenly.

You CAN vary the strength of the spring (using different ones from that drawer at the hardware store) and change the "feel" of the writing.

As you move into kitless and tubeless (very light), the spring is another area you could "customize" to help sell your pens.

Top Bottom