Disc cutter advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

Can anyone please recommend a specific disc cutter set that has been working for you to make washers for pen accent bands? I have been looking at this one from Rio Grande, but it is rather expensive. I see many options on Amazon, but I hope someone has experience with a specific lower-priced brand/model and has been impressed with it.

From my research, I believe I need a set that includes centering dies to make washers as well as discs. Many models I see on Amazon do not include centering dies.

Thank you for any advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

I buy the material at the hardware store, drill it, cut it out with snips and turn it on the lathe using a mandrel to hold it or it gets glued on the blank and turned together. But you might be talking about something else.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Grizzly used to have one between these two sizes:

And it was priced at about $50 - $60 dollars 7 or 8 years ago. It had a number of die sizes including a 3/8" which to me was the ideal for the most pens that I needed. it also was set up to be used on a stand rather than hand held, If I remember correctly. But it was nowhere nearly as expensive as the $700 one above, and it wasn't much bigger than the hand held, but somewhat bigger. Making discs was a two step process - cutting the outer ring and then the inner hole, or vice versa - again if I remember correctly.

If I can find that particular die/punch set by another manufacturer, I will post it.

OH, Here is an Eastwood die/punch that has up to 7/16 which is just under 1/2"

my google search turned up this:

Last edited:

hooked

rixstix

I have been looking at sets like this on Amazon:

I haven't looked at a hand punch. Thank you for the idea. I think $700 for the Grizzly is further out of my price range for a hobbyist. I will take a look at the others.
I have the punch from RioGrande which is imperial sizes
The PMC Supplies version is metric but I have also done business with them over the years and trust their products offered.

I personally would shy away from hand punches

Top Bottom